Forward progress

Forward Derrick Williams hasn’t been putting up the scoring numbers of late, but call him the offensive juggernaut anyway.

Despite being limited with his pinky finger wrapped up for protection, opposing zone defenses haven’t shied away from throwing double and often triple teams at the Arizona sophomore.

“”Teams still play him the same,”” said forward Solomon Hill. “”Guys are starting to get open shots. It’s starting to look a lot easier for the team to play, smoothly, through Derrick.

“”We still want to get him touches to cause that attention.””

But it’s clear Williams has been limited. He only got off five shots and three free throws against ASU thanks to the injury and the Sun Devils’ collapsing zone.

At the same time, ASU picked their poison — guard Kyle Fogg launched nine 3-pointers and connected on six as part of his 26 points.

Head coach Sean Miller said Tuesday that Williams has been kept out of portions of practice to rest his finger. In his third week of injury, Miller said Williams’ defense has been iffy, perhaps because of the loss of practice time.

“”Some of his fouls is defensive positioning,”” Miller said. “”We’ve noticed a difference there.

“”In these two days leading up to Washington State,”” Miller joked, “”I know Derrick will be excited, we’re going to keep him in more defensive drills than offensive. He’ll appreciate that.””

Miller expects his leading scorer to lose some of the wrapping in the near future, as Williams is not under risk to injure his finger anymore.

Lost in the Fogg

Kyle Fogg scorched ASU on Sunday, but his two 13-point halves overshadowed bench contributions from guard Jordin Mayes and forward Jesse Perry.

Mayes scored seven first-half points and Perry, who was scoreless by halftime, came out looking to make a bigger impact.

“”That’s the thing about this team,”” Perry said. “”Any night, it can be another guy’s night besides Derrick. The second half, I tried to come out and be more aggressive.””

What made it easier to do so?

As a lover of physicality, Perry woke up thanks to ASU’s pushiness after the locker room break.

“”Zone kind of makes it harder to really reach a lot of contact,”” Perry said. “”In the second half, they came out more hard and physical. And I succeeded out there.””