Sports briefs: Wade on Thorpe watch list

Wade named to Jim Thorpe Award watch list

Junior cornerback Trevin Wade is among 35 players named to the preseason watch list for the 2010 Jim Thorpe Award.

The Thorpe Award is given to the best defensive back in the nation in honor of a multi-sport legend. Wade, who has started 13 games for head football coach Mike Stoops and the Arizona Wildcats, has nine career interceptions.

UCLA’s Rahim Moore is the only other representative of the Pacific 10 Conference on the watch list.

An Arizona defender has been the recipient of the award two times in the history of the award since its inception in 1986. Darryll Lewis received the award in 1990 and most recently Antoine Cason won the award in 2007. Both were cornerbacks.

Wildcats head to swim nationals

Seven Arizona-related swimmers are partaking in the 2010 ConocoPhillips USA Swimming National Championship, which began yesterday.

Alumni Amanda Beard, Marcus Titus, Annie Chandler, Clark Burckle and Bryan O’Connor as well as juniors Alyssa Anderson and Cory Chitwood will have the chance to make the national team, as the meet serves as the selection event for the 2010 Mutual of Omaha Pan Pacific Championships. Those, in turn, serve as selection meets for 2011 FINA World Championships in Shanghai, China.

The National Championships will continue at the William Woollett Jr. Aquatics Center in Irvine, Calif., until Aug. 7. and will be broadcast on NBC.

Brown makes MLB debut

Former Arizona baseball outfielder Jordan Brown made his debut as the designated hitter for the Cleveland Indians on Sunday in a 5-4 defeat of the Toronto Blue Jays.

Brown, who was drafted by the Indians in the 2006 First-Year Player Draft, joined three other former Wildcats — Trevor Crowe, Jason Donald and Shelley Duncan — in Cleveland’s starting lineup. Crowe and Donald were teammates of Brown’s on the 2004 College World Series team, while Duncan is a former All-American and Pac-10 all-star.

Brown got his first major league hit on Monday when he doubled in a 6-5 victory over the Boston Red Sox.

­