Quick Hits

ABOR to discuss new UA buildings, politics

PHOENIX – The Arizona Board of Regents will discuss the future of the UA today, reviewing three major building proposals and a request for two new degrees as well as receiving an update on major bills in the state Legislature.

The regents will decide today whether the UA can form a nonprofit Research Park Development Corporation “”organized to assist (the) university in the acquisition, financing, improvement,and operation of campus, research park and related properties.””

The UA will also outline for the board of regents the $22 million Family and Consumer Sciences Building project and revision to 2006 fiscal year capital development plan that adds the $21 million Amendment Law Commons project.

The UA will also ask the regents to approve a plan to offer a Doctor of Nursing Practice degree and a Transcultural German doctoral degree.

The board will spend 20 minutes reviewing a 13-page document outlining dozens of bills in the Arizona legislature. The board will receive an update on proposed legislation, legislative activities and the status of budget discussions.

The regents will meet in the Student Union Memorial Center today at 9:30 a.m.

-By J. Ferguson

GPSC deadline today for council representatives

The Graduate and Professional Student Council is accepting applications for at-large or constituency/college representatives.

The application deadline for materials is today.

For descriptions of all the positions and candidacy requirements, go to the elections section at http://www.gpsc.arizona.edu.

The 2006 GPSC general elections will be March 27 to March 31.

For additional information, e-mail Amanda Brobbel at gpsc@u.arizona.edu.