Police Beat

Two students and an out-of-town guest were cited and released for possession of marijuana in Kaibab-Huachuca Residence Hall, 922 E. Fourth St., at midnight March 31.

A resident assistant reported smelling marijuana coming from one of the rooms while making her midnight rounds.

When police arrived, they also smelled marijuana coming from the room and knocked on the door.

Two students, ages 18 and 19, were in the room with a guest from Texas. The room’s resident denied that they were smoking marijuana.

Police asked him again if they were smoking, and he said he had smoked earlier but he did not think that there was any marijuana left in the room.

When the officer asked him to check and make sure, the student went to his desk to look. He produced a plastic baggie of marijuana.

Police searched the room and located a silver grinder with marijuana residue, 10 white pills in a plastic baggie with no identifying markings on them and several containers of alcohol.

The resident admitted that the alcohol belonged to him and said the grinder belonged to a friend.

A female student and the guest were cited and released for possession of marijuana. The resident was cited and released for possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia and minor in possession of liquor.

Police found a 18-year-old student lying on the northwest corner of North Euclid Avenue and East Second Street at midnight March 31.

She sat up when police approached her, and the officer observed red and watery eyes, slurred speech and a strong odor of intoxicants coming from her mouth.

The student said she was waiting for a ride home so she would not drive drunk.

The officer arrested her for minor in possession of liquor in the body. The girl became angry when the officer handed her the citation to sign.

“”I wish I would have driven home drunk,”” she said and began crying, according to reports. She signed the citation by scribbling on the signature line.

The officer released her after giving her the citation.

An 18-year-old man was photographed and DNA-tested after he acted suspiciously and attracted police attention at the Manuel T. Pacheco Integrated Learning Center, 1500 E. University Blvd., around noon March 31.

A community service officer spotted the man with a handgun tucked into his waistband going into the ILC and contacted police.

Police found the man sitting with a 15-year-old female and his 17-year-old sister. The man was playing with a set of Smith and Wesson handcuffs when police talked with him.

He had an Airsoft handgun with black grips in the shape of a government-model .45 caliber handgun. He also had a silver folding knife and several Airsoft rounds.

He said he liked to have “”Airsoft fights”” with his sister while they were at home and could not explain why he had the gun at that time, reports stated.

The man said he came to UA to drop his sister off at a poetry reading. He said he did not plan to shoot or display the gun.

He said the handcuffs were to show the 15-year-old that he could move his hands to the front of his body while they were handcuffed behind his back.

The man said he had Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and had not taken his prescribed Adderall that day.

A second officer arrived and said the man looked like a subject he had seen on a law-enforcement bulletin flier from the Tucson Police Department.

The officer asked the man for consent to take his picture and collect DNA. He agreed because he wanted to show that he had nothing to do with it.

The man was released without a citation and informed that the UA is a weapons-free campus. He was told to leave immediately with the weapons.

A 17-year-old was cited and released for skateboarding on campus around 4:30 p.m. March 31.

One 18-year-old was also cited and released, and another was given a formal warning for skateboarding. Skateboarding on campus is considered trespassing.

The three skateboarders were seen outside the College of Pharmacy building, 1295 N. Martin Ave., doing jumps on the stairs between the Pharmacy building and the College of Nursing.

Police records showed that on Dec. 3, 2005, one of the 18-year-olds had been warned by police about the UA’s policy on skateboarding and told that doing it again would result in an arrest.

The three were released after warnings, and citations were given.

The 17-year-old was released to his parents.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu