Arizona treks to Ole Miss

Gordon Bates  / Arizona Daily Wildcat
Gordon Bates
Gordon Bates / Arizona Daily Wildcat

After getting off to a fast start, the Arizona women’s basketball team faces its first stiff test of the season tonight when the Wildcats step away from McKale Center to take on Ole Miss tonight.

Head coach Niya Butts leads the Wildcats (2-0) to Oxford, Miss., in Arizona’s second road trip of the season after needing overtime to knock off Wichita State University 81-72 in the season opener.

“”We’re starting to see what we can do if we put all the pieces together,”” Butts said. “”Playing a more athletic and faster team in Ole Miss, we’re going to have to take care of the basketball. We’re going to need our offensive possessions.””

Turnovers are something that have tormented Arizona so far in the young season. The Wildcats have given the ball away 39 times so far through two games.

This will also be Arizona’s first trip into somewhat of a hostile environment at Ole Miss (2-0), but senior forward Soana Lucet doesn’t think that will be much of an issue.

“”I think it’ll be the same as Wichita State, but just more intense,”” Lucet said. “”I don’t think any of us haven’t been in an atmosphere where a lot of people have been (there), so I think we’ll do pretty well.””

Foul trouble is also something that has plagued Arizona, but senior Ify Ibekwe — who picked up four fouls in only 19 minutes against NAU — says that she can’t let that affect her play.

“”I just try to be aggressive every game,”” Ibekwe said. “”I get kind of down sometimes because I feel like I’m not there for my team, but I’d rather be aggressive. I don’t like fouling or fouling out, but I’m just going to continue going out and playing my game.””

Warthen’s homecoming

Candice Warthen, a freshman guard from Warrenton, Ga., isn’t going home this weekend as much as home is coming to her. She says that several family members are making the almost 24-hour drive to Oxford, Miss.

“”It’s closer to home and I’m going to have family there, and I’m ready,”” Warthen said. “”They say they’re taking a van, so I guess there’s going to be a vanload of people there.””

Arizona takes on Ole Miss tonight at 6 p.m. before returning home to take on the University of Arkansas Pine Bluff on Monday in the Wildcats’ final tuneup before the Cancun Thanksgiving Classic.