Theta Chi makes ‘Treats for Troops’

Theta Chi fraternity held its first philanthropy event yesterday on the UA Mall. The young fraternity joined the campus last semester and supported the military troops overseas with their Treats 4 Troops.

For three hours students were able to help assemble care packages for soldiers with candy, sunscreen, lip balm and other supplies.

Since the second week of September, the fraternity has been raising money for the supplies by selling T-shirts on the Mall, and with fundraisers at two campus restaurants.

They raised $1,400, said philanthropy chairman Jonathan Prince.

“”We have a large military population on campus. We want to support Arizona while we support our troops abroad, and it kind of ties in with the school,”” said Jared Jacobovitz, president of Theta Chi.

Pre-business freshman Alex Ramirez’s experience in a similar, but smaller project, as a Boy Scout inspired the idea for the event. Ramirez has an uncle who served in Iraq, and a cousin on his second tour there.

“”It’s really important to keep supporting them and let them know we’re here,”” Ramirez said. He keeps in touch with his family members overseas mostly through email, and said a lot of people forget there are troops away from home.

They bought 100 boxes for care packages with the money raised. Late into the afternoon, more had to be purchased for what Jacobovitz said was a successful turnout. Around 150 to 200 people showed up to make packages.

Before buying supplies, the fraternity researched soldiers’ needs by contacting family members who are serving in the military and with the non-profit organization Blue Star Mothers of America, Inc., which consists of mothers and wives of men in service.

The No. 1 item on the list was toilet paper, Ramirez said. “”Two-ply is like a luxury to the soldiers.””

Candy was another request from soldiers, who give them to children in the places they’re stationed, according to Ramirez.

Sigma Kappa sorority member Devon Houtz came to help at the tent. “”This is really important to

me … I know how much the boys need to know that people are thinking about them here,”” Houtz said.

Packages will be sent to the non-profit Operation Gratitude, which will ship them to soldiers overseas. The fraternity isn’t sure where they will end up.

“”My hope is they go out to people who don’t necessarily get mail or care packages … places where it’s kind of hard to get mail,”” Ramirez said.

Gamma Phi Beta sorority philanthropy chairwoman Elizabeth May assembled seven packages in support of the new fraternity on behalf of her house. “”You want them to go to your event, so you gotta go support others,”” May said.

The event’s planning and organization impressed her in Theta Chi’s first attempt at a philanthropy function.