Chemistry not there for UA volleyball

Arizona volleyball’s struggles this season come from a lack of chemistry between the team members.

Head coach Dave Rubio expressed disappointment over the way the team performed after Sunday’s match against the No. 3 Washington Huskies.

Although the Wildcats are nearing the end of their season, Rubio said it’s completely normal for them to have communication issues. It doesn’t matter how far along they are in their season; it’s a common problem with the Arizona team.

“I thought our chemistry was poor [on Sunday]. Apparently there are some things we need to work out,” Rubio said. “I think that’s always been an issue for us. We’ve been able to talk things out in the past and really work … on the way they’re communicating with one another.”

If the Arizona team wants to improve, its players need to form a stronger bond.

Rubio said it is important for the players to talk things out as soon as possible before their upcoming six matches, which are vital in propelling the team toward postseason play.

“The key for us is to continue to identify the issues and the problems that we have as a team,” Rubio said.

This isn’t the first time Arizona has seen a lack of chemistry, so the coaches already know what needs to be done in order for the women to come back together and continue working cohesively to finish their season.

“There’s a time in the season where we need to kind of have a power hour with the group, and hopefully they’re willing to speak honestly,” Rubio said. “We’ve done that a couple times.”

Sunday’s match was the first Pac-12 home loss for Arizona, and it has two upcoming home conference matches this week to work on regaining that team chemistry.

“The chemistry is always ongoing; it never stops. We never stop working on it,” Rubio said. “Some teams are better than others.”

Junior Madi Kingdon said the team has players who seem to be playing for themselves and some who don’t contribute positive vibes on the court, like giving a simple high-five after a good play. If you watch any volleyball match, you’ll see all kinds of gestures of support among the opposing team members, but not so much from Arizona.

Communication will be important in order for Arizona to beat the next six teams on the schedule, and Rubio said the coaching staff will address the problems before the women compete again.

“There’s direction that needs to come from the coaching staff. We have to identify some of the issues and talk them out, talk to individual players,” Rubio said. “We certainly have some things on the table that need to be addressed.”

— Follow Rose Aly Valenzuela @RoseAlyVal