Get spooky with these top Halloween movie picks

Walt Disney Pictures

A long-time classic, in a Daily Wildcat Twitter poll Disney’s, “Hocus Pocus” was voted as the best spooky movie to get into the Halloween spirit.

As September comes to a close, we welcome the spookiest month of the year—October. A great way to get into a spooky mood is by watching Halloween-centric films. From the campy to the disturbing to the downright scary, there’re plenty of options available for Halloween season movies.

Based on UA students’ input, here are some of the best movies to get you into the trick-or-treatin’ mood.

“Hocus Pocus” (1993)

“Hocus Pocus” tells the story of three kids who must vanquish three witches, played by Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker and Kathy Najimy. The witches have been dead for centuries, but the kids perform a spell that brings them back to life.

The film’s cheesy nature has boosted it to cult status and makes it a film that families can enjoy together.

“SJP [Sarah Jessica Parker] and Bette Midler are iconic,” said Diego Lopez, a freshman studying vocal performance with an emphasis on art song. “Two LGBT forces collide in a fun, campy Halloween movie.”

RELATED: Who What Wear: Fall fashion is back

“The Shining” (1980)

Stanley Kubrick’s adaptation of Stephen King’s novel “The Shining” follows Jack, played by Jack Nicholson, a family man who takes a job looking after a hotel for the winter. Jack brings along his wife and son as the family experiences strange things occurring in the old hotel.

“The Shining” is regarded a classic horror film and has been subject to much analysis. The film even has a documentary, “Room 237,” devoted to the conspiracy theories surrounding the film.

“It’s not super scary, but [it] kind of psychologically eats away at you while you’re watching, almost like you’re also going crazy,” said Emma Sinex, film and television freshman.

“Deliver Us From Evil” (2014)

Inspired by actual accounts, “Deliver us From Evil” follows detective Ralph Sarchie, who must balance the issues in his personal life with a new case that involves demonic possession.

“It’s based on a true story and it’s pretty scary,” said Jonah Saenz, film and television freshman. “It makes you wonder if stuff like that can happen in real life in your own hometown, which adds to the effect. There [are] a lot of jump-scares too, which make it scarier.”

“Halloween” (1978)

John Carpenter’s slasher horror classic “Halloween” takes place on Halloween night, as a murderous man returns to wreak havoc on his hometown after breaking out of a mental hospital.

RELATED: Settle into the October grind with Netflix’s new offerings

“The Rocky Horror Picture Show” (1975)

Another cult classic, “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” follows a young couple who come across the creepy mansion of Dr. Frank-N-Furter after getting stranded by a storm. The following events involve eccentric characters, fun songs and a whole lot of camp.

“The Rocky Horror Picture Show” is available for purchase and streaming on various online outlets, but you can see it on the big screen and participate with the audience when The Loft Cinema holds its midnight screening of the movie-musical on October 15.

Happy Spooktober, Wildcats.

Follow Aldo Ruiz on Twitter