All the flair without the hair

The Loft Cinema is adding Grease to their line-up of sing-a-long musicals. The film made Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta into household names.
    The Loft Cinema is adding ‘Grease’ to their line-up of sing-a-long musicals. The film made Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta into household names.

Looking for something fun and interesting to do this weekend? A movie at The Loft Cinema may be what you’re waiting for.

This weekend, the independent theater will present “”The ‘Grease’ Sing-A-Long.”” Attendees are invited to dress up, sing and dance along with one of America’s favorite rock ‘n’ roll musicals.

The movie will be presented in a new special-edition format with “”sing-a-long”” print to songs like “”You’re the One that I Want,”” “”Summer Nights”” and “”Greased Lightnin’,”” said Jeff Yanc, program director for the Loft.

“”The thing about ‘Grease’ is that everyone loves it,”” Yanc said. “”Kids love it, their parents love it and even their grandparents love it. It’s a great event for everyone.””

Once a month, the Loft offers sing-a-long versions of classic movies like “”Purple Rain,”” “”Priscilla: Queen of the Desert”” and many others, Yanc said.

“”They have really picked up steam [in Tucson] this year. Sing-alongs have become a mini phenomenon,”” he said. “”It is like a big party, with people singing and dancing in the aisles. It also helps that we serve beer and wine here. It knocks down people’s inhibitions a little.””

Most recently, they featured the “”Buffy the Vampire Slayer”” musical episode.

“”It was kind of like a modern-day ‘Rocky Horror Picture Show,'”” said Yanc. “”People came dressed as vampires; it was a lot of fun.””

Many independent theatres around the nation play host to these sing-a-longs, said Yanc. Even larger theaters have been hosting sing-a-long versions of the new box office hit “”Hairspray”” due to the popularity of the events. The Loft began hosting the event in early 2006.

“”It’s an interesting example of how big Hollywood studios get great ideas from the independent theatres and make tons of money off them,”” said Yanc.

Besides hosting a fun movie sing-a-long, the Loft will also offer a “”Grease”” costume contest.

“”Contestants will have to get up and dance for the audience,”” said Yanc. “”The audience yells their approval and winner will receive fun prizes.””

Prizes consist of a “”‘Grease’ package,”” said Yanc, with “”Grease”” posters, CDs by Olivia Newton-John and more.

The event will also play host to three of the cast members from the movie. Edd Barnes, who played “”National Bandstand”” host Vince Fontaine, Annette Charles who played trampy Cha-Cha Di Gregerio and Eddie Deezen, famous for his role as geeky Eugene Felnic, will all make appearances at the event. They will be signing autographs for all those ultimate “”Grease”” fans.

The event will be held Friday, Aug. 24 and Saturday, Aug. 25 at 7 p.m. at The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd. Tickets are $12 in advance and $15 at the door. Get them fast, they are expected to sell out. For more information, call 795-0844.