Peeping Tom stalks Pima stalls

An unidentified man has been peeping over the women’s bathroom stalls on Pima Community College campuses.

Over the past several weeks, three peeping incidents have been reported, and one suspicious activity report is being tied to an unknown man.

Police have

It’s weird – now I have to be on the lookout when I pee.

-Cyndi LaFrese,
    UA and PCC student

identified the suspect in the Pima incidents as African-American or Hispanic, 5 feet 6 inches to 5 feet 8 inches tall, 25-30 years old, wearing short hair and with rough-textured or pockmarked skin.

The first incident occurred Sept. 13 at around 11:30 a.m., when the suspect confronted a woman in a restroom stall at PCC’s West Campus.

The man reached under the partition and tried to grab her. The woman screamed, and he ran out, with some students catching a glimpse of him.

The next two incidents took place Sept. 17 and Oct. 3, when the man walked into a women’s stall and peered over the divider and watched the women until they screamed. These two incidents happened at night on PCC’s Downtown Campus.

The suspicious activity incident happened a day before the first encounter, when a custodian found a locked restroom stall with no one inside on the west campus.

“”It’s really creepy,”” said Cyndi LaFrese, a student at the UA and PCC. “”It’s weird – now I have to be on the lookout when I pee.””

Jason Birmingham, a Pima criminal justice sophomore, said he first heard about the incidents in an e-mail from the college, but thinks Pima has not put out enough information to the public, like suggesting that women go to the bathroom in pairs.

“”The whole thing is disturbing,”” he said.

The description of the suspect in the Pima incidents matches that of the suspect described in a UA Campus Alert released by the University of Arizona Police Department on Sept. 20, concerning two attempts of sexual assault.

The Wildcat reported Sept. 21 that in both instances, which occurred within two blocks south of campus, the victims managed to escape unharmed.

On the afternoon of Sept. 20, an 18-year-old freshman was followed through a gate into Sky View Apartments, 1050 E. Eighth St.

The suspect allegedly grabbed at her breast, and she fended him off by punching him. The man then fled southbound into the neighborhood.

The suspect was described as a Hispanic male in his mid-to-late 20s, approximately 5-foot-7 with an average build, a goatee and long black hair worn in a ponytail. The suspect was wearing a blue baseball cap on backward and a white or gray T-shirt. His face was described as “”pock-scarred”” in the cheek area, according to the alert.

Earlier that day, a similar incident was reported near the Student Recreation Center, 1400 E. Sixth St., said Sgt. Eugene Mejia, UAPD public information officer. The City of Tucson was investigating the case.

“”A female was followed by an individual who fit the description,”” Mejia said.

In response to the recent peeping activity, the PCC campuses have increased the amount of surveillance patrol and the number of patrol hours, posted signs on the restroom doors, and expanded their campus watch program.

“”Luckily, there has been no assault,”” said David Irwin, PCC’s executive director of public information. “”He hasn’t touched any of the women.””

LaFrese is troubled by the need to be vigilant in the restroom.

“”It’s sad that we as students have to deal with this kind of thing,”” she said. “”I’m definitely keeping an eye out for creepy behavior because I don’t want it to happen to anyone else.””