Staff picks: Super Bowl weekend

James Kelley
The question on everyone’s minds: when does Arizona finally take the “L”? The Cal trip looked like a prime candidate, but after the Bears lost to ASU at home, I can confidently say, “It is not this day.” The Colorado and Oregon trips are scarier.
Men’s basketball 72 California 67

What a great match up: Peyton Manning’s forehead vs. Richard Sherman’s mouth. Oh yeah, and the Denver Broncos’ offense and Seattle Seahawks’ defense are pretty good, too. She may want the “D” but this game will be all about the “O” — and the weather, of course.
Denver 31, Seattle 28

This game is so big for Syracuse that they’re selling T-shirts to commemorate it. SU is estimating an attendance of 36,000, which is better than some of its football games, even one against Pitt. The Orange will probably lose to the Dookies, but not in the dome, sweet dome.
Syracuse 74, Duke 68

After the raucous atmosphere on The Farm on Wednesday night, the vibe of this game will be as different as Stanford and ASU’s academic reputations. So the Cardinal is ripe for the picking? Not so fast, my friend; Stanford has three days to get over the UA hangover.
Stanford 60, ASU 55

Daniela Vizcarra
It looks like Cal will continue its losing streak when it hosts the UA this Saturday. Cal hasn’t been able to beat a No. 1-ranked team since Aaron Gordon was in diapers. Those Golden Bears have no chance against the platinum Cats.
UA 75, Cal 68

We have the best offense, the Broncos, and the best defense, the Seahawks, fighting for that Super Bowl championship. There hasn’t been a more perfect fight since the Sherman/Crabtree fiasco. Denver won’t be able to handle the dominance of Seattle’s defense or Richard Sherman’s mouth.
Seattle 28, Denver 21

This game is the biggest thing to happen to Syracuse since Otto the Orange became its mascot. Syracuse will paint the town orange and watch the team mimic the Cats and remain undefeated. The Blue Devils are going to get crushed by this Orange.
Syracuse 73, Duke 63

After beating Cal, ASU will try to take another win from a California team but the Cardinal doesn’t need to “fear the fork.” Stanford almost beat the UA but they will recover and get one win against an Arizona team this week.
Stanford 65, ASU 55

Roberto Payne
Arizona might lose one or two games this season, but it won’t be this Saturday to Cal, especially after the Golden Bears just lost to ASU. The Cardiac Cats should play yet another close game and extend their winning streak to a ridiculous 22 games.
Arizona 77, California 69

Arguably the best offense goes against the best defense in what should be a Super Bowl to remember. I’m taking Seattle’s Legion of Boom secondary over Peyton Manning and his seemingly endless offensive weapons. Prepare to hear “Omaha” about a million times this Sunday.
Seattle 27, Denver 24

This Syracuse/Duke game is the one time that it’s acceptable to root for Duke. A Dookie win puts Arizona as the unquestioned best team in the country and the likely unanimous No.1-ranked team. Not to mention Arizona’s win over Duke would look that much better.
Duke 68, Syracuse 64

Stanford showed a lot by playing tough throughout the game against the Wildcats. If the Cardinal brings the same effort and intensity against ASU as it did against Arizona, it’ll be enough to beat the struggling Sun Devils. Look for Dwight Powell to have a big game for Stanford.
Stanford 74, ASU 59