“M-Tennis heads to SoCal, W-Tennis faces Bruins”

The Arizona men’s tennis team has recently shown its ability, despite a losing streak, to keep matches close against some tough Pacific 10 Conference opponents. However, if the Wildcats want to return to the NCAA tournament, just keeping it close will not be enough. Holding a No. 55 ranking heading into this weekend’s games, the Wildcats will need to achieve an upset or two against Southern California and UCLA.

“”We definitely have to win one of these two matches (at USC and UCLA) and then win at least one of our final two matches against Idaho and Boise State next weekend,”” said coach Tad Berkowitz.

No. 14 UCLA currently holds a 13-5 (2-2 Pac-10) overall record, along with an impressive 10-1 home record. Even more daunting, the Wildcats have managed just one victory over UCLA in the last 75 total matches. However, that upset victory came last season.

“”We just need everybody coming together on the same day,”” Berkowitz said. “”We have the players, it’s just the matter of having that consistent lineup where guys are playing consecutively week in week out.””

The women’s team has its spot in the NCAA tournament all but locked up, however the Wildcats have experienced some other struggles recently.

On Thursday, it was announced on the team website that, “”Because student-athletes have reached their maximum participation limits for the season, Arizona is unable to field a complete team, therefore the scheduled matches with USC on Sat., April 9 and at ASU on April 16 have been forfeited.”” This announcement comes following a recent forfeit against Stanford last weekend, presumably for the same reasons.

As a result of this announcement, this afternoon’s home match versus UCLA will be the team’s final home match of the season. UCLA is ranked No. 8 in the country, so a victory for the No. 29 Wildcats would help alleviate the potential affects of the three forfeited matches.

The match against the Bruins will be senior Jane Huh’s, a Los Angeles area native, final home match as a Wildcat. Recently, Huh lost her singles match against California but came out victorious versus Washington on March 27.