Mailbag

Bidding farewell to ASUA president

After two years of service, we want to take this opportunity to thank a tireless student advocate for his work, passion, and indefatigable commitment to the Wildcat Family.

Tommy Bruce was the first student of the UA to be reelected to serve a second term as ASUA Student Body President. During his tenure, he took the Associated Students of the University of Arizona to new and unprecedented levels. Over the past two years, President Bruce worked to pass legislation saving students thousands of dollars on textbooks and fought for affordability, accessibility and predictability in tuition. He took Zona Zoo to new heights, helping to create the most affordable and largest student section in the Pac-10. He advocated for student organizations and working with Jessica Anderson, made the club funding process more transparent and equitable.

President Bruce singlehandedly fundraised money to organize and rally over 2,500 students at the state Capitol in protest of devastating budget cuts. Working to ensure Wildcat traditions and spirit remain, President Bruce’s work to maintain and improve Spring Fling, the largest student run carnival in the nation, has not gone unnoticed. These are just a few of the incredible accomplishments that have been made in the past two years.

President Bruce will never take credit nor boast the countless accomplishments he has made in the name of students and the UA.

Perhaps Tommy’s biggest assets are his integrity, humility, work ethic, and contagious drive that have propelled him to do his best in service to the UA family. As members of the Wildcat family, who have had the opportunity to work alongside such a remarkable individual as Tommy Bruce, we want to take this moment to say thank you. Tommy, you have significantly and positively forever changed the face of the University of Arizona. In gratitude,

Robert N. Shelton

UA President

Chris Nagata

ASUA Student Body President

Dr. Meredith Hay

Executive Vice-President and Provost

Dr. Melissa Vito

Vice President of Student Affairs

Michelle Perez

Director, Center for Student Involvement and Leadership

David Martinez III

Student Regent, Arizona Board of Regents

Michael Slugocki

Chair, Arizona Students’ Association

David Roost

Executive Director, Zona Zoo

J.C. Mutchler

Chair, Arizona Faculties Council