“On the spot: Tyler Shawaf, pre-business freshman”

So what do you know about this whole H1N1, or swine flu, business?

Um, I know that they actually recently came up with a vaccine for it, at least from what I heard on the news. It’s obviously contagious. People have had it here but I’m not really concerened about it.

So this whole swine flu thing doesn’t scare you at all?

Nah, man.

It seems to me that everybody’s pretty much freaking out about this for no real reason.

Yeah. People are just hyperbolizing the whole situation. I mean, sure, some people have died, but here we’ve got a good enough health system and hospitals. They know what they’re doing.

Yeah, I mean, more people probably die every year from the regular flu than have ever died because of swine flu.

Yeah. The way I think about it is that it’s pretty much a good scapegoat for anything else that’s going bad in the world. That’s why I’m not even concerned about it.

Do you know anybody who has swine flu or has had it?

Uh, no. But how can you determine if a person has swine flu or just the flu? That’s the thing I don’t know about.

My brother called me the other day and said he had swine flu, but he lives in Oklahoma so don’t worry, I’m not contagious.

How does he know that it’s swine flu?

He was sick and went to the doctor. They ran some tests and then told him he had swine flu.

Oh, well OK then.

But to be honest with you, I think it’s kind of cool that he has swine flu. Is that weird?

No. That’s just something that’s going around the whole entire world. I mean, 20 years from now you’ll think of it like, “”Yeah, swine flu. I overcame it and I’m still alive here today. I’m a bad ass, I guess.””

Is there anyone out there in the world who you would wish swine flu upon?

I’m not that type of guy, you know, love your enemy. But if it were to be someone then I guess just all the people who fucked up the economy.