Campus Guide: Transportation Basics

Tyler Besh
Tyler Besh/Arizona Daily Wildcat Students receive free campus transportation from the university provided Cat Tran shuttle.

Editor’s note: This article is part of the Arizona Summer Wildcat’s 2014 Campus Guide. The Campus Guide is a special issue that runs every year to help introduce incoming students to the UA and campus life.

CatTran

The CatTran shuttle connects the UA campus with surrounding neighborhoods, with routes along Mountain Avenue as far north as Fort Lowell Road, with numerous stops and routes between Euclid Avenue and Campbell Avenue. CatTran runs from 6:30 a.m. until 6:30 p.m. on weekdays, with more limited hours throughout the weekend. Students ride for free if they board on campus. Download the TransLoc app to find the location of any CatTran shuttle.

Cat Wheels Bike Sharing

A free service offered to students. There is a registration process for first time users of the program, after which only a CatCard is required to borrow a bicycle. Bikes can be checked out for 24 hours at a time. Students can also borrow locks.

Parking & Parking Permits

There are seven parking garages and more than 25 parking lots on campus. Hourly rates in garages range from $2-$3 an hour, usually with a sliding scale payment method that charges less the longer a car stays in the garage, with an option that caps off the maximum charge per day at $8 or $10. Parking lots require a permit. Yearly permits for parking garages are $615 and permits for lots range from $500 to $515.

UA ZimRide

ZimRide is a carpooling program offered exclusively to UA students, faculty and staff. Membership is free. The program has prevented 381,096 pounds of potential carbon dioxide emissions from entering the atmosphere, according to a ticker counteron their website. Students and faculty can search for available seats in existing carpools or create their own. Multiple vehicles can share a carpool permit. Spots in the garages on campus are reserved for registered vehicles.

Zipcar Car Share

Zipcar is a car share and rental service available to UA students over the age of 18. Register and download the smartphone application. Once registered, members receive a card which allows them to unlock cars. Students can reserve cars for up to a week at a time and do not pay for insurance or gas. The app can be used to locate and reserve cars. There is a monthly membership fee and additional costs when a car is reserved.