Griffey returns to Wildcats after brief leave of absence

Arizona+guard+Taryn+Griffey+%283%29+calls+out+a+play+as+she+runs+down+the+court+in+McKale+Center+on+Tuesday%2C+Nov.+10%2C+2015.+Griffey+has+returned+to+the+team+after+taking+a+brief+leave+of+absence.+
Jesus Barrera

Arizona guard Taryn Griffey (3) calls out a play as she runs down the court in McKale Center on Tuesday, Nov. 10, 2015. Griffey has returned to the team after taking a brief leave of absence.

The Arizona women’s basketball team has lost eight of its last nine games, but it could be getting a much-needed boost to its guard rotation in the near future.

Redshirt freshman point guard Taryn Griffey, who took a leave of absence for personal reasons in January, returned to the team before its loss against USC Friday.

“She’s back with the team and we’re moving forward from here,” Arizona head coach Niya Butts said.

While Griffey was on the bench with her teammates, she did not suit up for the game.

A UA spokesman told the Daily Wildcat that Griffey is likely to play again before the season ends, but according to Butts, it’s unclear when exactly that will happen and what Griffey’s role will be when she does return to the court.

“That remains to be seen. [Griffey]’s just getting back today and she hasn’t even practiced yet,” Butts said.

Before her leave of absence, Griffey was averaging 9 points per game, shooting a team-best 43.3 percent from behind the arc, and started in 14 games, playing 19.9 minutes per game.

The Wildcats lost five of the six games they played while Griffey was away and they’ll return to the court Sunday to take on the No. 14 UCLA Bruins in McKale Center. Game time is set for 1 p.m.

Follow Ryan Kelapire on Twitter.