Athlete of the Week: Ify Ibekwe

Editor’s note: Freshman forward Ify Ibekwe scored a career-high 22 points on 10-of-11 shooting from the field in a 70-60 loss to Middle Tennessee State on Sunday. The 90.9 field-goal percentage ranked second in UA history among best single-game performances.

The Wildcat recently caught up with Ibekwe to discuss that game, Thanksgiving dinner and her sibling rivalry.

Wildcat: You were perfect through most of the game. Was that running through your mind at all?

Ibekwe: No, that wasn’t running through my mind at all. I didn’t even notice that I didn’t miss any shots until the last 40 seconds left. … I was just glad they were going through the hoop.

W: What do you think it was?

I: Why didn’t I miss?

W: Yes.

I: Because I didn’t want to miss. … I wasn’t really thinking about the fact that I wasn’t missing. I was glad.

W: You’ve already got a spot in the record books as a freshman, how does that feel to you?

I: I do?

W: You do: the second-highest single-game field-goal percentage in Arizona women’s basketball history.

I: I didn’t know that. I’m happy? (laughs) Anybody can get in the record book; you’ve just got to go out there and work hard, doing the best that you can when you’re doing something.

W: How do you hope to improve heading into Pac-10 play?

I: I’m so excited to play in the Pac-10. I just have to improve in every way that I can before the tournament. Hopefully, we just bring it and double up more in practices and games.

W: What did you do for Thanksgiving?

I: I couldn’t go back home because we had practice and stuff, so I went to Coach’s (Joan Bonvicini) house. Her family was there and some assistant coaches were there. … It was really nice how she invited all the players and their families. It was nice. I was part of somebody’s family.

W: What’s one final exam you’re dreading the most?

I: My NATS 101. (Planet Earth: Evolution of a Habitable World.)

W: Your older sister plays for UCLA – will there be a lot of trash talking during the holidays? (Editor’s note: Arizona meets the Bruins on Dec. 30.)

I: Oh, yes. It’s going to be every morning, every afternoon, every night. … But we’re not really like that at all. We’re going to be ready to play. Hopefully, we guard each other so we’ll give the crowd a little something. We did in high school, but it hasn’t started in college.

as told to Bryan Roy