UA hits final meet before Mt. Pac championships

As the 2010 indoor track and field season comes to a close, Arizona is constantly fighting to improve — the women’s team is No. 16 in the nation, while the men’s squad sits at No. 18.

“”Rankings are all good and everything, but it doesn’t matter if you don’t bring it at a meet,”” head coach Fred Harvey said.

This weekend, a small group of Wildcats are headed to Walkup Skydome for the NAU Tune Up meet. This is the last meet before the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation championships and the second-to-last chance these athletes will have to qualify for the NCAA National Championships.

“”This meet is to keep them on queue going into the conference championship,”” Harvey said. “”For the hurdlers, it’s a chance to get a better national qualification.””

Of the few athletes who are heading north this weekend, senior hurdler Chris Titsworth will be looking to provisionally qualify for nationals in his last eligible indoor season.

“”I don’t really care about my place,”” Titsworth said. “”I just want a time that will take me to nationals.””

He’s not content with this performance this season and is out for more in the next couple of weeks.

“”I’ve had a (personal record) … but until I get on the podium, I’m not done,”” he said.

For junior LaTisha Holden, this weekend is all about business. She’s not looking to challenge any other racers but herself.

“”I don’t really pay attention to names, unless it’s my own,”” Holden said. “”It’s one of the last chances I have to make my national time what I want it to be and improve my rank. I just want to secure my spot.””

Even though this week’s meet won’t be as big as the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation championships, there is still some pressure on Holden.

“”When we get to a championship meet, it’s the best of the best,”” she said. “”I won’t get that feeling at Flagstaff, but I need to run it as fast as I can.””