FINAL: Arizona 44, Oregon State 7

Defensive Line #42 Anthony Fotu intercepts the ball and is tackled by Quarterback #4 Sean Collins. Fotu was removed from UA’s roster last week.

After dropping their first two Pac-12 Conference games, the Arizona Wildcats defeated the Oregon State Beavers 44-7 at Arizona Stadium in the desert afternoon sun.

“Really proud of our guys,” said Arizona football head coach Rich Rodriguez. ”Our guys came out and scored quickly. Our defense got a couple of huge stops early, so we made tempo uncomfortable early. Really good win over a pretty good football team.” 

What a difference having Anu Solomon back at quarterback made for the Wildcats. The Wildcat offense was able to click, something that did not happen over the past two games all through their rushing attack. All in all, the UA totaled 644 offensive yards.

Solomon threw for 276 yards on 17-30 attempts. Solomon completed passes to six different receivers as well.

The Wildcats’ rushing attack was supreme against Oregon State. Running back Nick Wilson rushed for 78 yards on 12 attempts and two touchdowns. Jared Baker added 123 yards on 10 rushing attempts. Orlando Bradford rushed for three touchdowns and 83 yards on 19 attempts.

“I thought our backs ran really well,” Rodriguez said. ”Every back that we had ran with a purpose; that really helps.”

Arizona kicker Casey Skowron nailed three field goals in the game.

About five minutes into the first quarter, Wilson appeared to sustain a right arm injury, but returned about seven minutes later. The Wildcats shared sighs of relief when Wilson returned.

Defensive adjustments showed for Arizona as the team disrupted the Beaver offense throughout the half. Total yards allowed was the biggest difference in the half. The Wildcats allowed just 249 yards on defense.

“I’ve liked their attitude since day one,” Rodriguez said. ”I liked the look in their eyes all week.” 

After giving up 111 points in two games, the defense simply had enough. During the second quarter, Will Parks delivered one of the biggest hits Arizona Stadium has ever seen to OSU receiver Jordan Villamin, who sustained an injury on the play.

“I thought the tone setter was obviously Will’s hit on the pass,” Rodriguez said.

The defense was able to force turnovers, including a big interception grabbed by defensive tackle Anthony Fotu. Linebacker Paul Magloire Jr. led the team with nine total tackles.

Game notes:

First Quarter

-With 13:02 remaining in the first quarter, Nick Wilson rushes for a three-yard touchdown

Second Quarter

-With 10:59 remaining in the second quarter, OSU quarterback Seth Collins rushes for 17-yard touchdown

-With 10:17 remaining in the second, Wilson rushes for a seven-yard touchdown

-With 9:10 remaining in the second, defensive tackle Anthony Fotu intercepts Collins

-With 9:06 remaining in the second, running back Orlando Bradford rushes for a one-yard touchdown

-With 3:44 remaining in the second, Bradford rushes for a two-yard touchdown

Third Quarter

-With 4:37 remaining in the third quarter, Bradford rushes for a three-yard touchdown

Fourth Quarter

-No key plays