‘We are the Daily Wildcat’

Journalism isn’t dead and it’s not dying. It doesn’t even have so much as the common cold.

Sure, it’s seasoned and keeps changing its appearance. How and where it is consumed is changing quickly.

But journalism certainly isn’t dying — especially on the campus of the University of Arizona.

Here at the UA’s independent student newspaper, which has lived a hearty life since 1899, we have a new slogan: “”I am the Daily Wildcat.”” It represents each of the 100-plus students who work tirelessly to put out a product each school day for you, the reader.

Since I started working for the newspaper in fall 2006 as a sports reporter, I have swallowed the slogan, digested it and, in turn, lived by it. Now, as the editor in chief of the Arizona Daily Wildcat, I am encouraging everyone on staff to live by the same code.

Because when each one of us believes that “”I am the Daily Wildcat,”” reporters dig deeper, columnists analyze harder and designers’ creative juices flow better.

And sure enough, journalism’s heartbeat keeps thumping with the same fervor as your curiosity about news on campus.

Every part of this newspaper belongs to you. Pick up a copy from the newsstand for free and take it to class with you. Then take it home, make it dinner and cuddle with it at night if you’d like. That’s the beauty of journalism and newspaper writing: It’s by the people and for the people.

Suddenly, you are the Daily Wildcat as well.

And just like that, “”We are the Daily Wildcat.””

Oh, but you don’t have to settle for a print product. You could do the same with an online issue at DailyWildcat.com, where videos and photo galleries are housed.

Or do the same on our Daily Wildcat iPhone application.

Or get quick updates on our various Facebook or Twitter pages.

So know that journalism isn’t dying, it’s just changing. Its voice is growing deeper and its legs are growing longer. It is becoming something it has never been before. It may look into a mirror and ask, “”What I am becoming?”” though its roots will remain the same.

No matter what journalism becomes, we will change with it to ensure it never dies.

We believe in working together for you, the reader.

I am the Daily Wildcat. You are the Daily Wildcat. We are the Daily Wildcat.

— Lance Madden is the editor in chief. He can be reached at editor@wildcat.arizona.edu. Follow him at Twitter.com/LanceMadden.