Icecats’ year coming to an end

As the Arizona Icecats begin to wind down their season with only six games remaining, the team expects it to end with a bang.

The No. 23 Icecats (10-12-1) will travel to Weber State and Colorado State for a pair of two-game series before closing out the year at home in the Tucson Convention Center against No. 7 ASU in a two-game series.

“”It’s been an interesting year and the key of the next six games is to play the best we can, with people we have out,”” head coach Leo Golembiewski said.

Arizona has been affected by disadvantages this season, including many injuries and very little practice time on the ice due to scheduling issues with the TCC. The Icecats have continued to fight on, though, recently earning a 5-4 upset of No. 5 Adrian College.

“”The guys have played and fought hard all year long,”” he added. “”It’s been a tough year for the guys and as a coach you hope for the most.””

The Icecats have lost five games by one goal, including close losses to ASU and No. 8 Minot State. Those close losses are the difference between a 10-12-1 record, and a 15-7-1 record, and a possible berth into the American Collegiate Hockey Association National Tournament.

In order to make it into the ACHA National Tournament, a team must be ranked in the Top 16 in the country. According to Golembiewski, the Icecats would “”almost need to be in the Top 12,”” in order to survive the automatic bids from conference teams and still make it in.

Arizona has scored an impressive 134 goals so far this season, but giving up 147, according to Golembiewski, is the main issue.

“”We’ve been so close in so many games,”” he said.

Golembiewski said the biggest victory so far was the upset of Adrian on Jan. 8, in which there was a bench-clearing brawl afterward.

“”Hockey is an emotional, and fast paced game. Adrian attacked our team as players congratulated each other,”” he said.

The Icecats still have a chance to make new highlights and another big upset victory when ASU rolls into town for the season finale on Feb. 25-26. Arizona has had 2-1, and 3-1 leads in games against ASU earlier this season, but was unable to hold them. ASU is also riding on a long winning streak against the Icecats, which Arizona intends to try and snap.