Moving dos and don’ts

S

ummer is not only the time for vacations, long daytime naps or internships but also a time for something most of us do and, in our never ending haste of daily life, never really take the time to think about – move.

Most college students will move from place to place about once a year or more during their college career, said Carrie Bawolek, student coordinator for commuter student affairs. Sometimes, students will live with roommates, others will room with significant others and some students will even take the newfound independence of college life and live by themselves.

After moving just a couple of weeks ago into a one bedroom by myself, I found my mind wandering to the subject of moving, in more ways than one. Since I fit into the mold of the typical student who has moved twice in the past year, I’ve compiled a short list of dos and don’ts.

• Do find a roommate you know you can communicate with. If not, you’ll regret your decision for the duration of your lease, and someone who may have once been a close friend will turn into someone you don’t even know. Come on people, there is a big difference between a roommate and a BFF.
  • Do make sure your new house has plenty of electrical outlets. Yes, I know this sounds weird, but some old houses in Tucson don’t even have outlets in the bathrooms. If not, you’ll be tripping over extension cords while stubbing your toe in a daze of sleepiness.
  • Do make sure you pack things according to room. If not, you’ll be pulling your hair out trying to find your checkbook, which could lead to a possible breakdown when you find it in your pots and pans.
  • Don’t put your clothes in trash bags – they’ll break and you’ll have your unmentionables all over the street. You don’t want your new neighbor to bring you your undies in place of the traditional bunt cake.
  • Do sort through all of your clothes. Throw out the old pair of Levi’s you wore to the Coldplay concert over a year ago and have since never washed. Find other things you absolutely don’t need. Have a yard sale and make some lemonade while you’re at it. This way you’ll de-clutter your life, and you might make a little money in the process (at least enough to buy yourself an Eegee’s after a hot day of lugging your dresser and couch down some stairs).
  • Do throw away the dead wilted flowers in the corner of the room – out with the old and in with the new, huh? It’s time for a new boyfriend anyway.
  • Don’t forget to put a change of address in at your local post office. Nothing is more annoying than getting someone else’s mail – or someone else getting your bank statements.
  • Don’t forget to disconnect/reconnect your utilities. I made the mistake of forgetting to call the gas company and had freezing-cold water for a week.
  • Do purchase renter’s insurance. You never know when your washing machine is going to leak and flood your house, leaving you without the laptop that was hastily left on the floor of your bedroom.
  • Don’t move in the middle of the day. Make sure you either have movers, or you have a crew of buddies assembled for the late afternoon. If not, you might have a heatstroke in the middle of lugging your mattress into your new pad.
  • The purpose of college is to learn, try new things and gain amazing experiences. Moving sucks – don’t let a weekend become a week. Create a plan of attack and execute it wisely.

Nicole Santa Cruz is a senior
    majoring in journalism.
    She can be reached at letters@wildcat.arizona.edu