Barrio Brewing finally debuts

Patrons enjoy a beer outside Barrio Brewing Co. The restaurant and brewery employs four in-house welders and makes the majority of its furniture and decorations out of recycled materials.

After eight years of numerous delays and inspections by city officials, Barrio Brewing restaurant, 800 E. 16th St., is finally open for business.

Health and fire inspections, combined with a complete overhaul of what used to be Tucson Warehouse and Transfer Co., caused the delays and cost more than $500,000.

“”It’s been a long time. I mean, I bought this space back in 1999,”” said Dennis Arnold, owner of Barrio Brewing and Gentle Ben’s Brewing Co. on East University Boulevard. “”There were so many issues with the city, I’m pleased we got the green light.””

Nestled in an industrialized area of Downtown, surrounded by warehouses and train tracks, Barrio Brewing has been the home for Gentle Ben’s specially brewed beers for almost a year.

Arnold moved tanks and other equipment from a hot and crowded location behind Gentle Ben’s to its new, spacious spot
    in November.

“”We put a pizza oven where the tanks used to be at Gentle Ben’s,”” Arnold said. “”The new digs for the brewery (are) much more conducive to crafting beer, plus it will give us more room to create new drafts.””

Barrio Brewing had its grand opening Sept. 10 to a crowd of mostly Downtown residents and workers in the area who are die-hard fans of the brewery’s beer, Arnold said.

Barrio Brewing’s food choices are similar to Gentle Ben’s – mainly sandwiches, burgers and quesadillas – offered on an evolving menu that is expected to change periodically, he said.

The 5,000-square-foot location gives brewmaster Nick Smith more creativity in creating new recipes.

The brewery has a few ideas in the works, like a recipe to make a barley wine based off of a Belgium ale, Smith said.

For now, Barrio is offering its seasonal beers, including Beer Down Nut Brown, Copperhead Pale Ale and Nolan Porter.

Barrio Brewing is open from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, and 11 a.m. to close Friday and Saturday.