Jason Mraz: Selections for Friends

Selections for Friends, the new Jason Mraz album, features a compilation of live recordings of Mraz’s older material along with new songs that capture his vocal freshness. The album showcases the talented live performer rapping through lyrics, floating on vocal arias and encouraging audience participation in almost every song. About half the songs on the album come from his previous album Mr. A-Z, which Mraz performed at the UA last year.

The drums in the song “”Sleeping to Dream”” accompany Mraz’s melodic voice to perfection. The peaceful mingling of the two produces a dreamy, calm and soft track that would make Enya jealous. The drums are an element you can only get in the live recording.

“”Life is Wonderful,”” recorded live from Montalvo Winery in Saratoga, Calif., gives Mraz the opportunity to sing with emotion and smart lyrics: “”It takes a thought to make a word/And it takes some words to make an action/And it takes some work to make it work/It takes some good to make it hurt/It takes some bad for satisfaction.””

Mraz weaves with ease from a falsetto voice to a tenor in “”Did You Get My Message.”” The drums in the background take a back seat to his vocal artistry.

The only song on the album not taken from a live performance is “”The Beauty in Ugly,”” inspired by the ABC television comedy “”Ugly Betty.”” The song fits perfectly into the show, seeping with its same upbeat emotion.

Mraz lives up to expectations by successfully delivering this impressive album. Don’t go to the record store looking for it, though – the collection is only available through www.jasonmraz.com.