Election 2020: Presidential race too early to call

Breaking News (Illustration by Pascal Albright | Daily Wildcat) 

Editor’s Note: President Joe Biden was announced the winner of the 2020 presidential election Nov. 7, as announced by the Associated Press, NBC and Fox News. 

The 2020 presidential race between former Vice President Joe Biden and President Donald Trump has yet to be officially called. As of 4 p.m. Nov. 4, Biden is leading with 264 electoral votes and 50.3% of the popular vote, according to the Associated Press. Arizona went blue this year, giving Biden 11 additional electoral votes. 

RELATED: Election 2020: A breakdown of District 3 candidates

Experts anticipate some highly contested states to take days, even weeks to count. MSNBC reporter Chris Jansing tweeted that election officials in Pennsylvania don’t expect the state to be called for a while, even though President Donald Trump tried to claim victory during an early morning press conference. 

Though certain states — such as Utah and Hawaii — were called by the Associated Press the night of Nov. 3, some other states are still up in the air. This can be attributed to the sheer number of mail-in ballots cast this year. Vox reported nearly 100 million Americans voted early, and 63 million of those votes came via a mail-in ballot.

As FiveThirtyEight explained, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin and North Carolina — two of which have yet to be called — are allowing ballots that arrive late to still be counted provided they were postmarked Nov. 2 or Nov. 3, depending on the state. All four are considered crucial swing states in the election. Out of 14 swing states, 10 accept ballots after election — Arizona is not one of them.

In addition to those Pennsylvania and North Carolina, Nevada, Georgia and Alaska have yet to be called.

Follow Priya Jandu on Twitter