The Basements debut EP release: Long Stories Get Short

Local Tucson band The Basements. (Courtesy of Delaney Cruse or @delowphotos on Instagram)

Local Tucson alternative indie band, The Basements, are having an EP release show on May 6 at 191 Toole. The doors open at 6:30 p.m. and the show starts at 7:30 p.m.

The tickets for this all-ages event start at $10 for the pre-sale and go up to $12 at the door on the night of the event.

Artists The Sinks, New Misphoria, Bethany Home, Velvet 77 and Noah Martin are supporting and performing as well. 

The members of the band include Sebastian Driver as the lead singer, Dylan Goode as the bassist, Brandon Pors as the guitarist and Alex Sciortino as the drummer.

This will be the group’s first EP, with five songs in total. 

The five songs include “Walk Around,” “What to Say,” “Better For You,” “Days” and “Andy’s Song.”

The Basements EP Release Show flyer courtesy of Sebastian Driver

The main theme of this EP is just as it sounds. Each song is a story condensed into about a three minute short story. 

Goode talked about how the songs are all based on their own personal memories.

“A lot of these songs come from our experiences here,” Goode said.

Most of those memories happen to be from the University of Arizona, as the members are currently seniors. 

“Mostly our experiences, stuff that has happened to us at college and now we’re graduating essentially and moving onto the next chapter. It’s like a staple of what has happened here,” Driver said.

Being in a band gave a different perspective to the college experience. 

“I guess it’s something different than the culture at the UA. Something that’s more meaningful than partying and drinking all the time,” Driver said.

RELATED: Who are The Basements?

Pors said the band’s music was definitely a comfortable in-between of being about the members’ own experiences while still being relatable to others.

Goode bounced off of that with how they want their music to affect their audience.

“We want you to cry to that song and be like, yeah, that’s me,” Goode said.

The fourth song on the EP is one of the more raw, emotional songs. It’s about a conversation with Driver’s younger self and what he would say to his younger self if he could.

“Andy’s Song, which would be the fourth song, is the most emotional. It’s basically a conversation with myself when I was younger,” Driver said.

Over the summer, the members plan on trying to book shows in Phoenix and working on their next album.

If you would like to support The Basements, tickets for their upcoming show can be purchased online and their music can be found on all streaming services. 

Follow Amanda Mourelatos on Twitter