Out and about in Tucson: this week in July

Tuesday, July 2

Jalph Presents: Rawkspolsion Day 1, Hotel Congress, 6:30 p.m.

For fans of Tucson’s local music scene, Hotel Congress will be putting on a two-day event full of bands such as Milk Music, Hausu, White Night, Dream Sick, Womb Tomb and more. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. tonight and 5:30 p.m. tomorrow. It’s free to the public.

Wednesday, July 3

Museum as Sanctuary: Giving Voice to Tucson’s Refugees, Tucson Museum of Art, 10 a.m. — 5 p.m.

A new exhibit will open at TMA, which features artwork contributed by families who have suffered traumatic events, as part of the healing process. The exhibit will continue through September 15. General admission is $10, senior citizens $8 and $5 for college students with ID. Free for ages 18 and younger, active military or veterans with ID and TMA members.

Thursday, July 4

Independence Day Country Fair and Pig Roast, Tanque Verde Guest Ranch, $50, 5:30 p.m.

Dust off your old cowboy boats for a country western style fourth of July party. Tanque Verde Guest Ranch will be celebrating Independence Day with a pig roast, live music and authentic, country-style BBQ.

Friday, July 5, 2013

SHUTTLE, Tucson Museum of Art, 5 p.m.

A mobile performance art piece built entirely around a giant work in progress, SHUTTLE combines innovative ideas and research from across the American Southwest. They will unveil their final performance in Tucson. This installation will be a combination of ideas they have learned along the journey, but will remain a mystery to the public until the day of the performance.

Saturday July 6

Summer Beer Series: NAFTA Beers, Hotel Congress, $20, 5 p.m.

This Saturday’s Summer Beer Series will feature beers from our neighbors in the North and South. Both Belgian styles from Unibroue, Canada and lager style beers from Mexico will be on the list.

Sunday, July 7

Devin the Dude, Hotel Congress, $20, 5 p.m.

Known for his infectious smile and smooth rhythms, Devin the Dude will grace Tucson with his presence and light-hearted humor. He has worked with artists such as Jay-Z and Snoop Dogg, and will give a performance that’s sure to be remembered.

Monday, July 8

Geeks Who Drink, Dante’s Fire, 8 p.m.

The title says it all: Geeks Who Drink features a night of beer, along with bar-style quizzes and trivia. Geeks Who Drink will hold its first weekly session here in Tucson. For more information, go to www.geekswhodrink.com