Legislators, community members promote support and honor for Israel

An American flag, an Arizona flag and an Israeli flag were placed atop a stage at the third annual “Night to Honor Israel” event, a call to the nation to stand in support of Israel.

Students, parents, legislators and community members joined together to hear speakers discuss the need to support Israel on Thursday night. The event, hosted by the Christians United For Israel group, featured David Brog, the group’s executive director, and a variety of speakers.

“What we want to do is involve the campus and the community to get them to work together in order to raise awareness about how important it is to support Israel,” said Fernanda Winchester, a history senior and vice president of the group’s campus chapter.

For the first time, the event was fully bilingual, allowing more community members to learn about Israel or voice their support. The event was also free to the public.

“In the Bible, it speaks about how if we unite and fight for Israel, then God will bless us, because Israel is the kingdom of God,” said Arcelia Gutierrez, a senior at Amphitheater High School. “We want to support Israel.”

The event itself began with the American national anthem, followed by the Israeli national anthem. When speakers took the stage, each commented on the challenges faced in Israel and the need for those in America to continue their support.

State Sen. Gail Griffin and state Rep. Ted Vogt discussed a resolution that voiced support for Israel. Vogt also emphasized the need for America and Israel to stand together.

Brog was one of the last to speak. He thanked legislators and community members for attending. He also emphasized the reasons why the community should support Israel and why it is in America’s best interest to have a strong allied Israel confronting shared enemies in the Middle East.

“Ultimately, supporting Israel is not only in our own self interest because it keeps our bodies alive,” Brog said. “Supporting Israel is in our best interest because it saves our souls.”