Police Beat 2/3/21: The booze is back in town

Tom Price
A University of Arizona Police Department car sits just off of Park Ave. on Oct. 1, 2015.

It’s been almost a year since we’ve had police beat, but it’s back and better than ever, folks. The semester is well under way, along with all of our favorite college campus antics. On a more serious note before we get into the entertainment, six reports were made for vehicular break-ins during the week of Jan. 18, three of them being on a single day. Make sure to lock your cars and be wary of keeping valuables inside. 

You Win Some, You Lose Some

The University of Arizona’s Campus Area Response Team responded to two incidents of “game nights” that had gotten out of hand between Jan. 21 and Jan. 23. CART is the team working in conjunction with the Tucson Police Department to help deter and control parties that are breaking COVID-19 safety guidelines. 

According to the police report in the late hours of Jan. 21, officers responded to a call referencing a loud party in an off-campus house. The officers arrived on the scene and observed a group of girls outside who quickly turned the other direction when they spotted the officers approaching, along with loud voices, beer cans on the property and 30 to 40 people in the backyard. 

The officers spoke with two of the party goers, including one of the residents who stated that they had been having a small poker night that had “gotten out of hand.” The guest they spoke to stated that the resident was a “good guy” and it was his fault the poker night had turned into a party. 

The house was issued a red tag and the two guys were cited for code of conduct violations. 

In the evening of Jan. 23, officers responded to a call at the Sigma Chi fraternity house referencing a loud party. The officers saw a table with guys working at the back of the house and said they could not hear voices or music unless they were directly north of the house. 

They asked to speak to the executive officers of the fraternity, who stated they were having an MMA fight night watch party with a small group of people, but were following all standards set forth by their nationals and Greek Life. They also said they were following all COVID-19 safety guidelines, including temperature checks and a guest list. The officers saw that one of the men working the table had a no-contact thermometer. They were asked to move people to individual rooms and turn off the music, which the fraternity members agreed to. 

A basic case report was made to document and forwarded to the Dean of Students as an FYI. 

This Mom Woke Up and Chose Violence

According to a police report, an officer spoke over the phone to a UA student on Jan. 23 regarding a potential harassment situation. The reporting party stated that the day of, she had received a notification that her Amazon package had been delivered to an Amazon locker, along with a confirmation code to go with it. She went to go pick the package up and upon opening it, realized that it was not her package, but her ex-roommate’s. She contacted the roommate and informed her of the mix-up. 

Later in the day, the reporting party received a call from the ex-roommate’s mother, who was screaming, cussing her out and using some incredibly choice names. The girl said she had to hang up the phone because the mother was so out of hand and wouldn’t calm down. 

She proceeded to text the mother screenshots of the order confirmation and code, to which she replied “keep running your nasty little mouth and see what happens to you,” followed by “you better pray to God everything is there because I will press charges against you.” 

The girl further explained that her and the ex-roommate had a bad falling out after the ex-roommate had stolen some of her stuff and they had decided to move out. Since then, she said the situation has been hostile, with the ex-roommate yelling at her every time she sees her and trying to blacklist her from fraternities. She stated that she was afraid the girl “might punch [her] in the face next time she sees [her].” 

The reporting party stated she just wanted the situation documented and an FYI was submitted to the Dean of Students. 

The Case of The Underwhelming Package

What more could you expect from intoxicated “frat types” holding a Circle K bag full of beers than publicly urinating on the side of a building? According to the police report, UAPD received a call from a witness stating that two college-age guys were urinating in public on the side of the Fred Fox School of Music building in the afternoon of Jan. 20. 

The responding officer met with the reporting party who stated that he had been walking by when he noticed the two men, who were clearly intoxicated and “yelling at females walking by.” He went on to say that he saw an “underwhelming package” when referring to the exposure of one of the guys’ penises. He did not see the other guys. 

The reporting witness said that he was a victim and would like to participate in prosecution if the males were found. The officer contacted the Fine Arts building complex to request video footage of the building from that afternoon. 

Follow Maggie Rockwell on Twitter