Past UA athletic infractions

Past UA athletic infractions

Oct. 17, 1984 – Men’s basketball

Violation: Recruiting transportation infraction.

Punishment: Assistant coach no longer able to recruit off-campus for the rest of the academic year.

May 20, 1983 – Football

Violation: Improper employment, financial aid, lodging and transportation, among other infractions.

Punishment: Two-year ban from postseason and live telecast, along with two years of probation.

May 16, 1974 – Men’s track and field

Violation: Recruiting contact and transportation infraction.

Punishment: One-year probation for head coach, one-year probation for university, no recruiting for one year and no grants for one year.

Jan. 10, 1961 – Football

Violations: Financial aid, transportation and tryout infractions.

Punishment: One-year probation.

Sanctions as they Stand

• Two years of probation

• Number of official visits reduced from 12 to 11 for the 2009-2010 academic year, and from 12 to eight during the 2010-2011 academic year.

• Number of days allowed to recruit reduced from 130 to 120 during the 2009-2010 academic year and from 130 to 110 during the 2010-2011 academic year.

• Number of days allowed to recruit during the summer of 2010 reduced by eight days.

• Number of grants-in-aid reduced by one, from 13 to 12, for the 2011-2012 academic year.

Timeline of NCAA investigation

May 19-21, 2006 — 2006 Cactus Classic is held in McKale Center and in Bear Down Gym. Note: Prior to this date, discussion took place of teams attending the tournament showcase between GOAZCATS.com founder Jim Storey and assistant coaches Miles Simon and Josh Pastner, resulting in an NCAA violation.

May 18-20, 2007 — 2007 Cactus Classic is held in McKale Center and in Bear Down Gym.

Oct. 2007 — Meeting with Rebounders Board of Directors in which then-head coach Lute Olson specified that boosters needed to “”step up”” and support Storey’s events.

On or about March 28, 2008 — Undated letter was sent with Olson’s signature, resulting in an NCAA violation stating that “”Olson was involved in the initial drafting of the letter and that he did instruct it be mailed to members of the Rebounders Board of Directors.””

April 10, 2008 — Arizona compliance office becomes aware of allegations involving the letter that resulted in an NCAA violation.

April 16, 2008 — Bill Morgan, associate director of athletics for compliance, interviews Olson.

May 9-11, 2008 — 2008 Cactus Classic is held in McKale Center and in Bear Down Gym. Note: Former Arizona coaches Mike Dunlap and Russ Pennell attended the 2008 Cactus Classic.

July 2, 2008 — Arizona files report of perceived violations to Pacific 10 Conference.

Sept. 2008 — Nearly 50 total interviews begin for investigation.

Oct. 30, 2008 — Response from the UA to NCAA Enforcement’s staff notice of allegations.

Feb. 6, 2009 — University receives notice of inquiry from NCAA to inform it that an NCAA investigation would be starting.

Feb. 5, 2010 — UA responds to NCAA notice of allegations.