With primary results in, ASUA announces general election candidates

Simon Asher
ASUA senators discuss amending their own constitution in regards to college-specific senators on Jan 25. Elections for senators and ASUA executives took place this semester, Feb. 13-15

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona announced its general election candidates on Wednesday, Feb. 22. 

ASUA presidential candidates Anna Woolridge and Natalynn Masters advanced to the general elections, with Woolridge winning a larger percent of the vote than Masters, followed by Stefano “Salt” Saltalamacchia and Amos Sepkowitz. 

ASUA executive vice-presidential candidate Matt Rein advanced to the general election unopposed, and the two administrative vice-presidential candidates, Kate Rosenstengel and Shawn McCarthy, moved on to the general election, with Rosenstengel winning a larger share of the vote.  

All candidates for ASUA at-large senators advanced to the general election, with Tara Singleton winning the most votes, followed by Kelly Dorney, Matt Hernandez, Anthony Rusk and Rocque Perez.

Eller College of Management senate candidates Michelle Mendoza and Khenda McIntee will be moving on to the general election, with Mendoza winning more votes than McIntee. 

College of Social and Behavioral Sciences senate candidates Bennett Adamson and Eric Roshak will be advancing to the general election, with Adamson winning the most votes, followed by Roshak and Aten Morin. 

Joseph Montoya and Ashin Katawala will be running to represent the College of Science, with Montoya winning more votes. 

RELATED: ASUA holds first elections town hall with Cultural Centers

Current ASUA Sen. Katie Christopher will be advancing unopposed to the general election to retain her senate position for the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. 

Current ASUA Sen. for the College of Engineering Madeline Melichar will be running unopposed in the general election to retain her position. College of Nursing senator Olivia Johnson will also be running unopposed to retain her senate position. 

ASUA senate candidate Brennen Feder will continue his run to represent the College of Education unopposed. Sedona Lynch will be running to represent the College of Public Health, also unopposed. 

RELATED: OPINION: ASUA elections worth consideration

Five colleges will not have candidates to represent them. Though they received write-in votes to fill the position, no write-in candidate received enough votes to advance to the general election. 

Those colleges are the College of Architecture Planning and Landscape Architecture; College of Fine Arts; College of Humanities; College of Letters, Arts and Science; and College of Medicine. 

A total of 3,251 votes were cast in the primary election, which is approximately 7.3 percent of the total Fall 2017 student enrollment of 44,831. The general election will be held on Tuesday, Feb. 27, and Wednesday, Feb. 28. 

Follow Jordan Williams on Twitter