HALFTIME: Nevada 31, Arizona 28

Kyle Wasson / Arizona Daily Wildcat

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – In a game of momentum swings, the Arizona Wildcats were on the wrong side of one at the end of the first half, as Arizona trails Nevada 31-28.

Nevada was in control of the game through most of the first quarter, jumping out to a 21-point lead while Arizona was only able to garner one first down until their first scoring drive.

The Wolf Pack started hot thanks to a powerful rushing attack. Junior Nevada running back Stefphon Jefferson scored from 16 yards out untouched by an Arizona defender on his way to the end zone.

Arizona was unable to answer the score, punting on each of its first two drives while the defense spotted Nevada a 14-0 lead on a Cody Fajardo pass to tight end Zach Sudfeld.

The Wolf Pack offense was on the sideline for less than a minute because of a Jared Backer fumble on the Wildcats’ kick off return. The next play, Fajardo hooked up with Sudfeld for his second touchdown of the game.

Arizona finally showed signs of life after the second Sudfeld score, marching down the field in two minutes, 31 seconds, scoring on a Ka’Deem Carey run.

In the second quarter, freshman linebacker Cody Ippolito and junior nose tackle Tevin Hood were both sent to the locker room after a fight broke out between the two on the UA sideline and neither is expected to return.

The UA was already short on defensive players because of injuries to starters Marquis Flowers, Sione Tuihalamaka, and Tra’Mayne Bondurant. The Wildcats are currently playing six freshmen on the defensive side of the ball, which has led to 417 total yards for Nevada at the half.

Matt Scott and Carey added three more rushing scores in the second quarter, which tied the game at 28. Carey now holds the Arizona record for most touchdowns in a season, with 23 and has 145 rushing yards, strengthening his hold on the rushing title. Jefferson is only 16 yards behind, however, with 129.

Carey has set the record for most touchdowns in a New Mexico Bowl, with three . The high-powered offenses have set the record for the most points in a half, with 59 and have combined for 41 first downs.