Former UA point guard takes his talents to Hungary

Luke Adams
Josiah Turner, 2011-12 University of Arizona Men’s Basketball mug (8/26/2011; 0360)

Former Arizona point guard Josiah Turner has signed with a pro team in Hungary and will play there next season, according to Jeff Eisenberg of Yahoo Sports.

Turner, who started 17 games and averaged 6.8 points per game last year for the UA, left in April after a troublesome freshman season. Shortly after making the announcement that he’d be leaving the team, Turner was arrested and charged with an extreme DUI.

Originally, he was set to transfer to Southern Methodist University to play for head coach Larry Brown, but in July Turner told Eisenberg that he would be turning pro instead. Since he declared this after the NBA’s Draft eligibility period, his best options were to play the NBA’s Development League or overseas before trying to latch onto an NBA roster next year.

At the UA, Turner was suspended two separate times — once for a Dec. 7 game at University of Florida and then again for the entire Pac-12 and NIT tournaments, both times for “violations of team policy”.

“I am disappointed in Josiah for his actions,” Miller said in a statement after he suspended Turner indefinitely before the Pac-12 Tournament in March.

“Unfortunately this suspension comes at a time of great excitement and opportunity for our team,” he added. “However, the standards of our program will not be compromised under any circumstances. Hopefully, Josiah will learn a valuable lesson from this experience.”