Pair of Arizona gymnasts make NCAAs

The Arizona gymnastics team did not qualify to reach the NCAA National Championships as a team, but two individuals will represent the Wildcats in Duluth, Ga.

Senior Katie Matusik and junior Aubree Cristello will compete for Arizona as individuals on April 20-22 as a result of their performances at the NCAA Regional Championships in Seattle.

Matusik earned her ticket to NCAA Nationals when she tied for first place in the beam with a score of 9.900. She will compete in the beam event.

“Katie is certainly one of the best beam workers to ever wear an Arizona leotard. It’s great to see her win that title and to get another chance to compete,” Arizona head coach Bill Ryden said in a press release. “She has been working very hard all year for this opportunity, so this is wonderful to see that work pay off. Katie truly is one of the best we’ve ever had.”

Cristello will compete as an all-around individual after putting up scores of 9.850 on vault, 9.775 on beam, 9.850 on floor and 9.775 on bars. Her score was good enough for third place in the meet. The two total scores ahead of Cristello belonged to members from the Alabama squad, which qualified for the NCAA Championships, allowing Cristello to be chosen for the two remaining all-around spots for competitors from teams that did not qualify for the NCAA Championships.

“Aubree has definitely earned the right to compete at nationals,” Ryden said. “She has been ranked highly in the nation both in the all-around and on floor, so I think it is very fitting that her year isn’t over yet.”