ASUA Notebook 1/11/23: Senate talks elections, clubs in first meeting of new year

Jasmine Ma
Want an inside look at the University of Arizona’s student government? Read the Daily Wildcat’s Associated Students of the University of Arizona notebooks, which recap the ASUA Senate’s weekly meetings.

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona senate convened for its first meeting of 2023, during which it discussed election plans and club-related updates.

ASUA Elections

ASUA officials will table every other week on the mall to raise awareness for ASUA-sponsored events, including ASUA elections. Promoting elections will be a priority for the organization this semester.

“I will sleep well at night if I know there’s competition,” said ASUA Student Body President Patrick Robles.

Ten of the 12 senators that campaigned in the last election ran unopposed. All three executive positions were uncontested.

Robles asked the senators to personally reach out to students in their communities who will make good candidates.

Though exact dates have yet to be determined, a two-week campaign period will precede election day, which will be held at the beginning of March. More information on elections will be released next week.

New club Instagram page

ASUA will begin communicating to clubs via a new Instagram page, @asuaclubs. The page serves as a resource for over 400 UA clubs that are affiliated with ASUA.

View this profile on Instagram

ASUA Clubs (@asuaclubs) • Instagram photos and videos

“Basically, one of my biggest projects this year is to make a place for clubs to get information on everything they’ll need,” said ASUA Executive Vice President Nico Nieri- Lang.

In the past, Nieri-Lang said there was a physical club resource center. The purpose of the Instagram page is to be the digital replacement for the center where clubs will receive announcements, learn how to apply for funding and access other important information.

“It’s continuing the physical club resource center but in a digital space,” Nieri-Lang said.

In other club-related news, the ASUA club fair will be held on Feb. 2 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on the UA Mall. Space is limited to 200 spots, and the deadline to register for the club fair is Jan. 18.

Follow Kristijan Barnjak on Twitter