Terrance Ferguson brings permiter threat to Arizona men’s basketball

New+commit+Terrance+Ferguson+shoots+the+ball+during+a+high+school+basketball+game+in+his+hometown%2C+Dallas.+Ferguson+committed+to+Arizona+on+Wednesday+and+brings+a+quality+3-point+shot.+
Kelly Kline
New commit Terrance Ferguson shoots the ball during a high school basketball game in his hometown, Dallas. Ferguson committed to Arizona on Wednesday and brings a quality 3-point shot.

There was more to the basketball madness Wednesday than Kobe Bryant’s retirement and the Golden State Warriors’ breaking the all-time regular season wins record. The 2016 five-star shooting guard, Terrance Ferguson, committed to Arizona.

Even though the buzz about his commitment faded away and he didn’t have the bells and whistles that Josh Jackson carried, Ferguson may be one of the most important pieces to the class. He adds size to the perimeter and provides the range that Arizona hasn’t witnessed in quite some time.

Every recruit has a reason to commit, whether it’s the player personnel, the weather or even the food.

Ferguson’s reason was solely Sean Miller and the run-and-gun pace that he enforces. Ferguson is a system player and his ability to get in the lane defensively with his length and a quick shooting trigger is different. He is a unique athlete and he’s capable of honoring the process of the player’s program.

“I have a lot of trust inside coach Miller,” Ferguson told Scout Hoops. “I love the style of play, and I just love coach Miller.”

Standing at 6-foot-7, Miller is receiving the longest two-guard since taking over at Arizona, so determining where he should play could face a challenge especially with the returning players. But Ferguson and Miller have history.

The player-coach duo was together last summer for Team USA in the U19 World Championships. Miller already has a leg-up in terms of getting familiar with Ferguson and his tendencies. Even if those tendencies are bad habits, Miller can elevate Ferguson’s game another notch before the season even starts.

On top of that, Allonzo Trier was Ferguson’s teammate on Team USA. So with the guard returning and looking to be the leader of the young Arizona squad, having chemistry won’t be an issue.

Chemistry is key for any player coming into a program and with game experience from Trier and Miller, the team should have that element.

Ferguson will undoubtedly appear raw at some points throughout the season, but he will also play like a veteran. His future teammates and five-star All-Americans Kobi Simmons and Rawle Alkins are also familiar, according to Ferguson.

Related: Terrance Ferguson’s commitment to Arizona gives Point Guard U a new dynamic, Wing U.

“I’ve known Rawle and Kobi for a while now, probably since freshman year at different camps,” Ferguson said. “Me, Kobi and Rawle have been talking about [playing together] for a while and they recruited me heavy.”

Ferguson didn’t necessarily stand out in the McDonald’s All-American game thanks to Josh Jackson, but his performance at the Nike Hoop Summit showed why he’s capable of being one of the best threats from 3-pointer. Ferguson tallied 21 points while shooting 7-for-11 from beyond the arc.

Ferguson’s performance broke the record for most 3-pointers made. Nike Hoop Summit has been active since 1995 and Ferguson was the player who proved he was the best shooter to come out of the world all-star game. Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, Dirk Nowitzki, Harrison Barnes and Jabari Parker are just a few former players of the all-star game whom Ferguson outshined.

Ferguson’s verbal commitment to Arizona was swept underneath the rug with other basketball festivities Wednesday, but when it’s all said and done, Ferguson will make the best of his first year in Tucson.

Also read: Count down Greg Byrne’s five best hires during his tenure with the Wildcats.

Follow Justin Spears on Twitter.