Police Beat

Honesty is the best policy but you’re still under arrest

A man was arrested for possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia on April 4 at 7:42 p.m.

Police responded to the Coronado Residence Hall in reference to the smell of marijuana coming from one of the rooms. When they arrived, they made contact with a resident assistant who took police to the room.

Police noted they could faintly smell the odor in the hall, but outside of the room it was much stronger.

Police knocked on the door and a man answered. He allowed police to enter the room, where there was another man. Police told the men they were there in reference to the odor of marijuana. The man who answered the door stepped out of the room to speak to one of the officers and was released from the scene with no charges.

The man who remained inside told the officer, “”Alright, I’m going to be honest with you, I have some marijuana in my pocket.””

The man removed an orange pill bottle from his left front pocket and handed it to the officer. Inside, there was a leafy green substance that smelt like marijuana. The officer asked the man what he used to smoke the marijuana and the man said, “”Oh I have a small pipe.”” He reached onto a shelf above his desk and handed the officer a small wooden smoking pipe that contained residue that smelt of marijuana. He told the officer that he had not smoked any marijuana that day.

The man consented to a search of his area of the room. Police found a bag of rolling papers. The man said that he used them to smoke marijuana.

The man was arrested for possession of marijuana and possession of narcotic paraphernalia. He was also referred to the Dean of Students Office.

Odorous desk drawer draws suspicion

A woman was cited and released for possession of marijuana on April 7 at 8:24 p.m.

Police responded to the Kaibab Huachuca Residence Hall in reference to the odor of marijuana coming from one of the rooms. When police entered the hallway, they smelt a strong odor of marijuana coming from one of the rooms. The reporting party told police that no one had entered or left the room since the smell started.

An officer knocked on the door and when it was opened, the odor of marijuana became stronger. The officer noted that there were two women in the room. They told police they could enter the room.

Police asked the women if they knew why their room smelt like marijuana. Both said no. Neither woman showed signs of recent marijuana use. Police determined that because of the smell, there was marijuana in the room. They asked the women to be honest. The women then looked at each other and nodded their heads.

One of the women told police that she had some marijuana in her desk drawer and that it had been there for about two weeks. She said that neither of them had smoked any marijuana.

Police asked the woman to get the marijuana. When the woman opened her desk drawer, the smell of marijuana became even stronger. The other woman said that this happened every time the drawer was opened.

The woman with the marijuana handed police a plastic baggie containing a marijuana bud and a small amount of loose marijuana.

The woman told police that an unknown male gave her the marijuana at a frat party. She thought he was a student, but she was not sure.

The woman was cited and released on scene. The marijuana was confiscated and taken into evidence.