Arizona soccer loses season finale to ASU

Antonia Muskat

The Arizona soccer team hosted Oregon State University at Murphey Field at Mulcahy Soccer Stadium on Oct. 27, 2022. Arizona would lose 3-2. 

The Arizona soccer team played rival team ASU on Friday at Sun Devils Stadium. It was the Wildcats’ first time losing to ASU since 2015, breaking their seven-game winning streak. In the past, the games have been close but not as close as this game.

Both teams took a total of 12 shots on the opposing team’s goal. Returning from a red card suspension from a previous game, Megan Chelf had multiple opportunities on goal.

It wasn’t until the 23rd minute that Sun Devil player Keri Matthews scored the game’s first goal on the Wildcats’ goalie Hope Hisey.

Arizona responded with a corner kick on ASU that was deflected. Chelf then shot to the top right corner of ASU’s goal, but it was saved by Pauline Nelles. Multiple substitutions were made on both teams after the 30-minute mark.

In the 43rd minute, Chelf launched a cross into the box that bounced off of an Arizona State player into the back of the net. The score was tied 1-1 at the half.

Arizona took the lead in the 47th minute when Sami Baytosh kicked a corner kick that was then tapped in by Nyota Katembo, making the score 2-1 Wildcats.

Arizona State retaliated with multiple shots at Hisey. After numerous attempts, the Sun Devils were successful in the 52nd minute, making the score 2-2. The game was extremely physical. Arizona State had three yellow cards and the Wildcats had one, with both teams adding up to a total of 18 fouls.

Arizona State pulled off the win in the 79th minute when Lucy Johnson shot the ball over Hisey’s head. The final score was 3-2 Arizona State.

This was the Wildcats’ last game of the regular season. The team’s overall final record is 8-7-3 and the Conference record is 5-5-1.

Follow Delaney Penn on Twitter