“Man shot in Centreville, hours after elderly woman’s fatal shooting”

A man was shot early Monday in Centreville, just hours after an elderly woman was shot and killed.

The latest shooting occurred about 1 a.m. in the 500 block of Moorehouse Court in the Centreville Courts Apartments, according to Assistant Police Chief James Mister. He said the victim and the person who allegedly shot him got into an argument prior to the shooting.

“”The victim was standing outside when he and the suspect got into an argument,”” Mister said.

The person who was shot was a 22-year-old male. A friend drove him to Touchette Regional Hospital, and he was later transferred to an undisclosed hospital, Mister said.

Mister said police were called at 1 a.m. to investigate reports of shots fired in the area.

Detective Tony Tomlinson said police have developed information about a possible suspect, who is not in custody. Witnesses said he fled the scene on foot,”” Tomlinson said.

The day before, police responded to the fatal shooting of Gladys Cockrell, 88, who lived in the 500 block of South 42nd Street.

The suspect who police believe shot Cockrell was a 20-year-old East St. Louis man identified as Cortez D. Hamm. Hamm was seen by police driving by her house in the victim’sLincoln Town Car. Police blocked him in using two Alorton police cars. The suspect, in an attempt to flee, aimed a gun at police, and officers shot and killed the suspect.

Mister confirmed that two Centreville police officers are on administrative leave while the Illinois State Police’s Public Integrity Unit investigates the shooting by the officers. The shooting drew a large crowd of onlookers, who questioned why Hamm would take the life of an elderly woman, who was a longtime member of the community.