Notes from around the diamond

No. 1 Washington Huskies

The reigning Pacific 10 Conference champions defeated unranked Oregon State three times over the weekend to build their winning streak to four games. National Player of the Year Danielle Lawrie threw three shutouts to lead the Huskies (40-5) to the sweep. The series win gave Washington 40 wins on the season, the 13th time the Huskies have reached 40 wins in the program’s 18-year history.

No. 2 Michigan Wolverines

The Wolverines (40-6) staged two comeback rallies in the sixth innings of both their games against the unranked Kentucky Wildcats. Michigan has two pitchers with more than 15 wins on the season. Jordan Taylor (22-3) and Nikki Nemitz (16-3) both have ERAs under two, at 1.45 and 1.95 respectively. The Wolverines take on their fellow Michigan softball programs this weekend when they host Western Michigan, Eastern Michigan and Michigan State in a three-day setting.

No. 3 Arizona Wildcats

The Wildcats (40-8) took two of three from California in Berkeley, Calif., over the weekend. Arizona also hit the 40-win mark for the season, and freshman pitcher Kenzie Fowler nabbed the Wildcats’ two wins to bring her season total to 29. If Fowler cracks the 30-win mark this season, she will be the 18th pitcher in Arizona softball history to do so and the first since Taryne Mowatt in 2007.

No. 4 Alabama Crimson Tide

The Crimson Tide took two games from No. 13 Tennessee before the third game was canceled due to inclement weather. Before the cancellation, Alabama defeated the Lady Volunteers in a double header on Saturday 4-2 and 7-6 respectively. Alabama will close out the season on the road at Mississippi State. 

No. 5 Florida Gators

Florida swept Mississippi State in two games in Gainesville, Fla., this weekend. Junior pitcher Stephanie Brombacher earned her 25th win of the season and was named Southeastern Conference Pitcher of the Week for pitching her seventh shutout and 14th complete game of the season.

Conference standings

School            Overall record        Conference

Washington          40-5                         12-3

Arizona                 40-8                         10-5

UCLA                    36-9                         10-5

Arizona State        39-12                        8-7

Oregon                 31-13                        7-8

California              36-15                        6-9

Stanford                35-13                       5-10

Oregon State        22-27                       2-13