Pac-12 cancels Arizona football’s season opener against Utah

Carmen Valencia

University of Arizona football helmets sit in a row before the start of the press conference to introduce head football coach, Kevin Sumlin. 

The Pac-12 announced on Friday, Nov. 6 the cancellation of the Arizona vs. Utah football game originally scheduled to be played on Saturday, Nov. 7. The Pac-12 deemed the game unplayable after Utah could not meet the minimum number of scholarship players on its roster due to positive COVID-19 tests.  

“The Pac-12 has approved a request from Utah to cancel the Arizona at Utah football game scheduled for  November 7,” an official statement from the Pac-12 said. “This decision was made under the Pac-12’s football game cancellation policy due to Utah not having the minimum number of scholarship players available for the game as a result of a number of positive football student-athlete COVID-19 cases and resulting isolation of additional football student-athletes under contact tracing protocols. Under Conference policy, the game will be declared a no contest.” 

This is the second Pac-12 game to be cancelled after Washington vs. Cal was cancelled yesterday, Nov. 5 for the same reason.

“The cancellation of this game, following yesterday’s cancellation of the Washington at Cal football game, is of course incredibly disappointing to our student-athletes and our fans,” an official statement from the Pac-12 said. “At the same time it is an indication that our health and safety protocols are working in identifying positive cases and contact tracing cases.  While all of us want to see our football student-athletes on the field competing, our number one priority must continue to be the health and safety of all those connected to Pac-12 football programs.”

Follow Jacob Mennuti on Twitter