Icecats sharpen up for seniors’ night

The No. 10 Arizona men’s club hockey team will honor seniors tomorrow night before they play their last games in front of the Tucson faithful at the Tucson Convention Center.

The Icecats (19-11) host NAU tonight and tomorrow night at “”the Madhouse on Main Street,”” with the puck dropping at 7:30 both nights.

Arizona will honor six seniors in all: three-year defensemen Eric Kowalek and D.J. Pelletier, four-year defenseman Mike Pelletier and four-year forwards Brian Pollock, Tim Wochok and Cole Dunlop.

“”They’re a real good senior group, good students and good guys,”” Arizona head coach Leo Golembiewski said. “”I’m proud of these guys, so it’s definitely a bittersweet night.””

With the Icecats already looking forward to their date with No. 6 Lindenwood in the first round of the American Collegiate Hockey Association Championship tournament next week, NAU comes in as a lame-duck opponent.

“”We haven’t had any soft games on the schedule with the exception of Long Beach State all year, so I’m not going to apologize for these four games,”” Golembiewski said. “”We have the 10th-toughest schedule in the ACHA, and when you look around, nobody’s really playing anybody (in the ACHA) the third and fourth weekends in February.””

Golembiewski also talked about the toughness his team showed during a brutal stretch of the season after its sweep of No. 7 Weber State Dec. 2-3.

“”I’m really proud of these kids, the way they’ve played since that Weber State series, through that road trip. I’m really pleased with how they’ve played,”” he said.