Multiple UA fraternities under investigation after violating code of conduct

Amorah Tate
The pillars standing in Heritage Park represent the different types of houses, as well as what chapter they belong to. Each sorority or fraternity has the opportunity to buy a pillar and put their name on it.

Multiple University of Arizona fraternities, Sigma Nu,  Pi Kappa Phi and Sigma Chi* are both under judicial review for multiple Student Code of Conduct violations, including violating university-wide COVID-19 rules.

The UA’s chapter conduct site states Sigma Nu violated multiple sections of the Code of Conduct including endangering/threat/cause harm, other published rules, failure to comply and off-campus conduct. 

For now, Sigma Nu’s activities are suspended, which “prohibits hosting, attending, participating, and sponsoring any organizational activities until the final disposition of this case,” as well as having contact with new members without prior approval of the Dean of Students Office. Sigma Nu members are only permitted to hold club business meetings. 

RELATED: The University of Arizona reports highest single day increase in positive coronavirus tests; The UA says hospitalizations at zero

Pi Kappa Phi is said to be in violation of endangering/threat/cause harm, other published rules, failure to comply, alcohol, drugs, off-campus conduct and hazing. 

Pi Kappa Phi faces interim loss of recognition, which also means members cannot host, attend, participate or sponsor organizational activities during this time. Like Sigma Nu, Pi Kappa Phi is not allowed to contact new members without the Dean of Students Office’s approval and they are only allowed to hold club business meetings. 

Sigma Chi is also said to be in violation of endangering/threat/cause harm, other published rules, failure to comply and hazing. The fraternity faces interim loss of recognition.

Marcos Guzman*, assistant dean of students and director of fraternity and sorority programs at UA, confirmed via email that violation of “other published rules” by these fraternities relates to COVID-19 health precautions*.  

Another fraternity, Pi Alpha Phi, is also under judicial review at the UA, though the National Board of Directors issued an indefinite moratorium on activities nationwide in July after multiple reports of sexual misconduct nationwide.

*Editor’s Note: This article has been updated with Sigma Chi’s recent investigation and additional information from Marcos Guzman. 

Follow Priya Jandu on Twitter