How to follow history in between classes

If you’re stuck at school during the presidential inauguration, there are still many ways to witness history in the making. Events at the UA and around Tucson today provide students and community members with a place to watch, reflect and commemorate.

Watch the Obama Inauguration live

Students will be able to watch the inauguration live and in HD in Centennial Hall with doors opening at 9 a.m. and the event starting at 10 a.m., Johnny Cruz, Director of Media Relations said. This event is open to everyone and is being sponsored by UApresents and Arizona Public Media.

African American Student Affairs is partnering with Native American Students Affairs to host a viewing event in the Cellar Bistro, which is set to begin around 9:30 a.m., Maria Moore, AASA coordinator of retention programs and services, said.

“”Basically any group (or) any person who is excited about Obama can come and watch the inauguration in the Cellar,”” Moore said.

If you’re not on campus but you’re near Fourth Avenue, Antigone Books will also be broadcasting the inauguration, owner Kate Randall said. The bookstore will be having an all-day celebration from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Dan Hernandez, Hotel Congress Booking Manager said if you’re in the downtown area, you can watch the inauguration at Hotel Congress.

“”During the day we’ll have our club set up, and in our lobby we’ll have a big-screen TV so people can come out and watch the inauguration live,”” Hernandez said.

Other Inauguration Events

Antigone Books

In the evening, Antigone Books will be having an Inauguration Open Mic starting at 5 p.m. “”People are encouraged to come out and read or listen to new poems or writings celebrating the inauguration, or anything (they have) written that’s hopeful and celebratory, or someone else’s work that inspires you to change the world,”” Randall said.

Antigone Books will also be working on an open letter to President-elect Obama “”where people can add their number one hope and fear (for the country).”” Randall said.

Their celebration will also have “”a plethora of fun Obama merchandise,”” Randall said. They will have a “”life-like cardboard cut-out”” of Barack Obama with which people can get their photo taken. In addition, there will be contests and games, she said. One game will be a word contest and the other will give people the opportunity to “”toss Obama through the ring of fire to the land on peace and prosperity.””

She said that Antigone Books is hosting so many activities because they’re “”very excited about the new president and his first day and (they’re) very hopeful about the new direction the country might be able to go in.””

Hotel Congress

Hotel Congress will be kicking off their Obama Inaugural Ball at 7 p.m., Hernandez said, the event will “”go all night”” and will be held in Club Congress.

He said the bands Wayback Machine, Carnivaleros, Mitzy Cowell, and Grams and Krieger will be playing indoors, and Silver Thread, Golden Boots, Lemon Drop Gang and DJPJ playing outside.

The “”music in the club will be like an after-party thing,”” Hernandez said. The event, along with its “”general celebratory atmosphere”” is free, but the club inside is 21 years old and over.