Hot and Not: January 22

Tyler Baker/ The Daily Wildcat UA freshman forward Aaron Gordon jumps towards the hoop during the UA vs. ASU basketball game at McKale Center Thursday. UA won against ASU 91-68.

Hot
The men’s basketball team made history by becoming the first team in school history to begin the season 17-0. The team now has an 18-0, 5-0 Pac-12 Conference record and is one victory away from tying former head coach Lute Olson’s school winning streak. Olson set that record in the 1992-93 season, and again in 1997-98.

Senior Nick Ross from the No. 17 men’s track and field team set a school record and had the highest collegiate mark so far in the men’s high jump competition with a clearance of 7-6.5 (2.30m).

Arizona baseball head coach Andy Lopez is healthy and out on the field with the team after having open-heart surgery right before the fall practices. The Wildcats’ official practices will begin Friday, and Lopez will be there to coach his team.

The Phoenix Suns cruised past the Denver Nuggets on Sunday night, beating them 117-103 at the US Airways Center. The Suns had their starters play no more than 30 minutes because the reserves’ performance was enough to defeat Denver.

Not
The women’s basketball team is winless in Pac-12 play, 0-6, and are 4-13 overall.

The Arizona men’s tennis team only won two out of six matches during the weekend as it opened its season in Albuquerque, N.M.

Arizona hockey fans, head coach and players are not happy with the way the referees are doing their job. More than 20 penalties were called on Saturday night when Arizona lost 4-3 to Liberty in a game that lasted over three hours. Arizona head coach Sean Hogan said the referees need to figure it out and let the players play.

The Arizona gymnastics team suffered its first loss of the season on Sunday to its Pac-12 rival No. 12 Stanford. Arizona lost 195.925-195.850 to the Cardinal.

Seattle Seahawk Richard Sherman’s rant while being interviewed by Erin Andrews became a big deal after the NFC Championship Game when the Seahawks defeated the 49ers Sunday night and overshadowed his game winning pass break up. Sherman has been apologizing for his rant, but his WWE-type antics have gone viral.

—Follow Rose Aly Valenzuela @RoseAlyVal