Get in the green

Are you a little tight on cash?

There are always jobs on or near campus for you to pick up some extra spending money and maybe even help build your rǸsumǸ. From collecting ticket stubs to working at the bookstore, on- and off-campus jobs are right around the corner for work-hungry students.

“”I enjoy the interaction that I have with my co-workers, other students, and, obviously, it is nice to be able to make money,”” Alicia Sorenson, a pre-education sophomore who has worked at 3 Cheeses and a Noodle, Bakerzin and with the UA as an orientation leader, wrote in an e-mail.

For students who have already decided on a major, now is a great time to begin on your career path by getting some on-the-job training through a mentor or internship program, Stacy Canfield, a business administration senior, wrote in an e-mail.

“”Professional Intern Program is beneficial and pays well,””she wrote. “”PIP is a credited training program for student leads and managers.””

The UA’s two student unions employ more than 500 students, offering only part-time positions. Hourly wages range from $6.75-$12.

“”I enjoy responsibility, and earning my own steady paycheck,”” John Sears, civil engineering sophomore and Highland Market employee, wrote in an e-mail. “”I find it even more rewarding when the job provides a valuable service for the commonwealth.””

If you’re really itching to get working, the Student Union Memorial Center offers several possibilities and provides guides to even more outside options.

The student unions have four primary departments: Dining Services, which includes all on-campus food-service locations and convenience stores; CSIL/involvement; Retail, including Fast Copy, Fast Design and the post office; and Operations, which includes Event Services and the Information Desk.

One of the appeals of working on campus is that managers are generally rather flexible with scheduling students, Steve Schreiber, a pre-physiology sophomore who worked 8-10 hours weekly at CafǸ Sonora, wrote in an e-mail.

“”It allows me to keep my focus on school work,”” Schreiber added.

The university offers a Federal Work-Study Program, a federal financial aid program that gives undergraduate and graduate students a part-time job. Students qualify only if they demonstrate a financial need, and the jobs are both on and off campus.

There is also a program called COOP, short for “”Cooperative

Education,”” that is similar to an internship. Most COOPs are limited to federal agencies and their contractors but also include a few private companies in the high-tech or financial-service sectors.

Employment through a COOP may require a student to alternate working for the company and attending school, but some companies allow students to concurrently pursue academics while working for them.

A limited number of COOPs actively recruit through the UA Career Services, so typically a student must go through the organization they are interested in working for.