Dance program provides mixture of new performances

The UA dance program will present the Premium Blend Concert beginning Feb. 20.

The concert is a mixture of several types of dance, such as classic ballet, jazz, tap and modern.

“”We always try to do a nice combination of ballet, modern and jazz for our students,”” said Laura Donnelly, public relations officer for the UA dance program.

All of the performances are faculty works.

“”Sometimes we do repertory but that’s work that has been performed before,”” she said. “”These are things that have never been seen before by anybody.””

The students auditioned in September, and have been rehearsing since October.

The Premium Blends concert is also a group effort between university programs.

“”We collaborate with UApresents,”” said Donnelly. “”These are part of the UApresents series and simultaneously part of the dance series. It allows us to give more students the chance to learn the works and more students to perform the works.””

The main feature of the concert will be “”Swan Lake,”” a piece that is often presented in the same way, using short tutus and a Russian setting.

“”The way we usually see it is kind of a Gothic, dark production,”” Donnelly said.

James Clouser has staged the piece in a way that is more true to the original Persian fairy tale.

“”It’s using a long, flowing dance skirt instead of a tutu,”” she said, “”and he’s set the fairy tale back in Persia. It’s a unique version of the standard classic.””

“”Swan Lake”” is giving a large number of students a chance to perform.

“”There are two casts for ‘Swan Lake,’ which is a very large ballet,”” said Donnelly, “”and both casts will get a chance to perform because we’re doing eight performances over two weekends, which is quite a lot for a university-based program.””