Fact or fiction: Is Rocky Point still the ultimate spring break destination?

Melikamp (CC BY 3.0-SA)
    Beach of the Dead in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Puerto Vallarta is a destination similar to Rocky Point, with its beaches and party atmosphere.

Mexico is often seen as two things: dangerous or fun. Sometimes both. Like anywhere, it can be dangerous in certain places, but Puerto Peñasco, Mexico —commonly referred to as Rocky Point — is an innocent little beach town that welcomes visitors from near and far.

Located in the northwest part of the state of Sonora, Mexico, Rocky Point is roughly four hours away from the Dirty T, which makes it a great last-minute spring break destination.

Making your way out to Mexico will require a car, and preferably a truck so you can fit things like tents and coolers filled with drinks and snacks for the beach. Make sure to bring friends, otherwise the trip south will not be worth the time. Portable speakers are a great addition, as it’s always nice to have music of your choice when out on the sand.

Rocky Point’s beaches are beautiful, and most of the lodging in this small town sits on them. Whether you’re getting fancy and staying at a resort like Las Palmas, a nice hotel like Playa Bonita or even a rented beach house, all are close enough to the main part of town, which guarantees you a weekend filled with fun.

At the beach, town locals usually run activities like banana boat rentals. This is a favorite of Rocky Point beach-goers for its fast, terrifying and exciting ride. Renting out jet skis and lying out on inflatable beach floats is also an option available to visiting tourists.

The food in Rocky Point is absolutely amazing. On the beach, locals come around and sell delicious Mexican paletas (popsicles) of every fruit flavor imaginable and mangos preparados. These mangos are cut into a flower shape and seasoned to perfection with Tajín and Chamoy. You can find these desserts on the beach or at Rocky Point’s famous port, El Malecón.

El Malecón is a gathering place for tourists and locals alike to watch the sunset, eat yummy mariscos, go out to bars and listen to live music. Almost every beach town has its own Malecón, but Rocky Point’s is truly special. For nightlife, check out BOOBAR and Elixir Bar & Lounge. For food, try out Blue Marlin — or literally any taco stand you see.

Grab your passports, a car and your closest friends, Wildcats, and go on that spontaneous adventure to Mexico you’ve always wanted to do.

Follow Mariel Bustamante on Twitter.