Police Beat

A woman was booked into Pima County Jail on the morning of Aug. 3 for driving under the influence and an outstanding Tucson Police Department warrant for failure to appear on a previous DUI.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer noticed her vehicle driving southbound in the center lane between Helen Street and Speedway Boulevard at 2:25 a.m. The car was flashing its headlights.

When the officer requested her driver’s license, she handed him a passport. The officer then noticed a smell of intoxicants coming from the vehicle and told the driver she would need to take a walk-and-turn test to determine sobriety.

The officer led her to an Intoxilyzer 8000 and began explaining the Admin Per Se/Implied Consent Affidavit after taking her to the polic departent. She refused to listen and stated she did not understand. She stated she needed to use the restroom but because she was completing the 15-minute deprivation period and there was no female officer on duty, the officer told her she had to wait until the test was completed.

She stated that her rights were being violated. When asked if she had made contact with her attorney, she said she could not locate his number and was having a hard time seeing because she did not have her glasses. The officer escorted her back to the phone to assist her in locating the number for her attorney but could not find his number in the phone book.

After five minutes the officer re-entered the room and asked her if she was ready to complete the breath test. She responded, “”Not until I speak to my attorney,”” according to reports. She said she had spoken to the attorney’s assistant and was awaiting a call back.

The officer noticed a large urine puddle on the floor. The woman said that because she had not been allowed to use the bathroom, she had urinated on the floor.

Another officer asked her if she contacted her attorney, she stated she was attempting to contact another. When asked if she would submit to a breathalyzer, she refused citing the Fifth Amendment.

As the first officer escorted her to a room to explain paperwork, the second officer observed two more large puddles of urine on the floor. When asked by the second officer why she had not informed him she needed to urinate, the woman smiled and shrugged her shoulders.

The officer confirmed to the woman that she had an outstanding warrant from TPD. She asked, “”Who am I going to sue, you?”” according to reports. Then she stated the warrant should have been quashed by her attorney. The officer explained the warrant was confirmed. While being transported to Pima County Jail, she informed the officer several times that “”karma is a bitch,”” and “”you will get yours,”” according to reports.

A woman was cited for driving on a suspended license at 5 a.m Aug. 3.

An officer stopped the woman at Helen Street and Cherry Avenue. She was advised her license was suspended. The officer observed two small children not in child seats.

The woman said to the officer, “”I know, they put a thing out on me,”” and “”I’m not going to lie, my license was suspended,”” according to reports.

The woman was provided with two UAPD child seats and the officer transported both the woman and her children to their home.

Police responded to a report about a student’s stolen pink Genuine Buddy motor scooter at 12:24 p.m. Aug. 3.

The scooter had been stolen sometime between 9 p.m. Aug. 2 and 12:24 p.m. Aug. 3 from the motorcycle parking area at the Science and Engineering Library, 744 N. Highland Ave.

The scooter is pink with a white seat, no windshield and smeared graffiti on the left side that reads “”TRD,”” according to reports. It had more than 3,000 miles on the odometer and a quarter tank of gas.

The student said she was leaving the country for a year on Aug. 7. She was advised to obtain power of attorney to handle her affairs concerning the scooter.

An attempt to locate was issued. Police have no suspects.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu.