Events being held before and during finals week to help students with stress

Carmen Valencia

Luna takes a walk in the park on Jan. 27. College policies and regulations often limit the private ownership of dogs in student housing.

Finals week can be a time of anxiety and panic for students, which is why the Finals Survival Week committee was created at the University of Arizona to help students relieve at least some stress amidst their finals. 

Finals Survival Week will be hosting events from April 22 to May 10. The events differ widely in location and in content. So, if you are looking for a way to get your mind off studyingt, FSW will have something for you.

Relax and Recharge at the Museum

The University of Arizona Museum of Art will be holding a day of activities on April 30 designed to help students alleviate their stress from end-of-year school projects and exams. 

The activities at the UAMA will focus on creative art all day, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Coffee and snacks will be provided. There will also be specialized activities, including painting with ambassadors from the College of Fine Arts at 1 p.m. and a yoga nidra class with Leslie Langbert at 2:30 p.m. Visitors are encouraged to RSVP. 

RELATED:  Police Beat 4/24/2019: State Your Case

Dogs and Donuts 

On Thursday, May 2, the University Libraries will be hosting “Dogs and Donuts” for Finals Survival Week. According to the University Libraries website, it will be held in the Main Library from 5-7 p.m. 

The main activities this event will provide, as the title suggests, are playing with therapy dogs and eating donuts. However, the events will also include other relaxing activities, which include board games, aromatherapy, making tabletop Zen gardens and even Think Tank academic tutors.

Free Solo Screening and Rock Wall

The Loft Cinema will be showing Free Solo on Wednesday, May 1, at 8 p.m. for Finals Survival Week. The Oscar-winning documentary will be shown on the Loft Cinema’s inflatable solar cinematic screen on the UA Mall. 

This is an event you will want to get to early, because you will be able to climb the rock wall that will be available. You will also get to make your own trail mix and participate in other activities that aim to relieve stress. Attendees will have to bring their own seating.

Preparing for Final Exam Workshops

The Think Tank will be adding a “Preparing for Final Exams” workshop to its Workshop Wednesdays. It will be on Wednesday, April 24, from 5-6 p.m. in Room 311 of the Science and Engineering Library.

The goal of the workshop is to teach students effective studying methods to help them with their finals. These methods will include how to study with flashcards and time management.

Follow Jake Toole on Twitter